FJ45LV Colors - holy grail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ristraman,

If you're directing this post to me, yes, I do have formulations for Colorado Beige and Cygnus White. Send me a PM/conversation if you wish to discuss.

Colorado Beige et al

Not sure if this helps......I have a Toyota Motor Sales, USA Refinishing Guide from the seventies acquired from a Dealership.It has tons of pages listing all the paint codes and formulas used on the Corona, Crown, and Land Cruiser models imported into the US up to 1975......The code T-451 Colorado Beige is listed as a "medium beige" along with the correct formula to reproduce it for the US dealerships using the national paint supplier for Toyota at the time: The Inmont Corporation, Rinshed-Mason Products subsidiary. Shipping large batches of factory paint over here apparently was never a viable option to Toyota......There is a technical service bulletin, TMS-SVQ-354 dated 7/17/73, from Toyota Motor Sales, USA addressed to All Regional Service Managers/Distributor General Managers regarding Toyota Vehicle Paint Formula. It states that "the formulae were developed by Rinshed-Mason Products technicians and compared with vehicles at the Los Angeles P. O. E. for accuracy." So apparently some critically professional work went into these formulations...... As these are the original American formulations of the Japanese originals using the American supplier who had experts color match and actually compare with the cars coming in off the boats, mixing up a small batch should produce an unfaded, unoxidized duplication of the colors as they appeared when they arrived here years ago. This should be more accurate than trying to match a 30+ -year old ink-on-paper color swatch, or a vehicle that's seen a long life, or an old photograph, or a warm and fuzzy memory. Only a batch of Japanese paint using the factory Japanese codes, tints, and bases would be more accurate...... I don't know if that paint manufacturer is still in business, but it might be worth a try to once and for all find out just what is an original "Band-Aid": shade. With modern computer reproduction, these newly-minted modern-day copies of the old paint, should then be able to be accurately configured in paints and product lines widely available to all of us today. If, however, the resulting sample is something other than "Band-Aid" color, you have the choice to use it, and slowly watch it fade into a "BandAid" hue, however long that may take, or just forge ahead and paint your truck the color you know you really wanted anyway...... Some may cringe at the comparison, but I understand that when they were finished with the restoration of the Sistene Chapel in Rome, some very respected art historians didn't feel comfortable with the bright "new" colors that surfaced after removing centuries of soot and age...... It's your truck--be a historian and freeze a moment in time, or follow your own path. Who's to say what is right or wrong.. ....MS ....P. S. Also further reading shows there never was a color code T number assigned to the Land Cruiser bumpers, grilles, or wheels, although color names are given for them along with formulas......

Hey Bear, I'd love to be able to make a high-resolution scan of your book so that I can add all the data to the master paint colors chart I'm creating on The Old Cruiser Toyota Paint Color Codes and Names 1961-1975 - The Old Cruiser. Is there any way I could borrow it from you?

Could I get formulations for Cygnus White and 1028 Spring Green please?
Hi, I don't know about spring green but between contacting support at R-M and using their online tool I have these formulations. The first attachment is a national rule formulation, which is Supreme Plus Basecoat. The other two I found in their color database myself for some of their more modern paint formulations (I think). I haven't tried them yet. Still taking some things apart on my rig before I talk to the painter again.

Toyota 012.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I don't know about spring green but between contacting support at R-M and using their online tool I have these formulations. The first attachment is a national rule formulation, which is Supreme Plus Basecoat. The other two I found in their color database myself for some of their more modern paint formulations (I think). I haven't tried them yet. Still taking some things apart on my rig before I talk to the painter again.

View attachment 1845933

View attachment 1845934

View attachment 1845935

Thank you very much. If anyone has Spring Green, let me know.

Thank you very much. If anyone has Spring Green, let me know.
So I am going to delete the last two references since I just noticed that the web site asks me not to share them with anyone. You can go to : Color Universe | rmpaint and select color search online, enter a manufacturer (i.e. Toyota) & a color code (i.e. 1028) and get formulations for "spring green" for example.

Last edited:
So I am going to delete the last two references since I just noticed that the web site asks me not to share them with anyone. You can go to : Color Universe | rmpaint and select color search online, enter a manufacturer (i.e. Toyota) & a color code (i.e. 1028) and get formulations for "spring green" for example.

I just went there and I see Spring Green, but not sure what I do after that.

I just went there and I see Spring Green, but not sure what I do after that.
If you click on the spring green line, the some different paint types show up at the bottom of area of the screen, for instance, UNO HD. Click on (for example) UNO HD and there are variants that show up at the right (only T1 for UNO HD). Click on the T1 variant and a tint formulae will appear on the screen for that paint, which you can print. You will have to find out if that is something your painter can work with. You can also go back and print other formulae for different paint systems that R-M/BASF sell. You can also select the size of car, etc... to get an estimate of paint required or just leave the setting at 1 to get relative amounts of each tint to mix. Hope this helps. I am not a painter, but am using these tools to figure out what to shoot on my 71.

My local paint guys can find the capri blue T-310 code, but don't have a formulation for that.
The paint on the inside of my doors is still very good, but if anyone has a formulation or a diferent code that's "equivilant," that would be helpful.
thanks

Color codes are a pain. When painting my LV couldn’t find spring green in any of the major brands her in the UAE. Would be great if someone made a database with all the major brands for all the toyota classic color formulas as an open source for all to use.

Color codes are a pain. When painting my LV couldn’t find spring green in any of the major brands her in the UAE. Would be great if someone made a database with all the major brands for all the toyota classic color formulas as an open source for all to use.

My LV is also Spring Green. Would love to see pics of yours. Do you have a build thread? I couldn’t find it. Mark

My LV is also Spring Green. Would love to see pics of yours. Do you have a build thread? I couldn’t find it. Mark

Ended up going with sea foam green. Doing a write up now of the build and getting all the pictures together. Will have a thread up next week.
Here is a picture of the truck so far. The color is very strange as it looks very different in different lights.

634D8DAF-5664-48D0-97D6-CF0B3CDEE8F5.jpeg

31941E05-869A-48D9-B0BE-1CFB5B5F19FA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom