FJ45 With first start in 7 years but it will not go into gear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope that someone may have some advice to help me with this problem. 1984 FJ45 with just 30,000 miles that has not run in 7 years. Recently I managed to get it to start and was very pleased. But when I tried to reverse it out of the barn, it would not go into reverse. It just made grating sounds. I adjusted the clutch pedal height, the push rod play at the pedal as well as the release cylinder, all as I saw in a manual that I have. I did not change the clutch hydraulic fluid. However I thought that I might have solved the problem but I did not. I have the cruiser now up on axle stands. I can go into every gear with the engine off. I decided to put it into reverse, hold the clutch pedal to the floor and start the engine. Even with the clutch pedal to the floor I could see that the rear wheel was driving. I conclude that the clutch is not engaging but I cannot understand why as the adjustments appear to be correct. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Have someone confirm your clutch fork is moving when you press the clutch. Based on what you describe it seems like the clutch is always engaged. Can you open up the flywheel cover and inspect to see if it is rusted up or stuck? Why was the rig parked in the first place after 30k miles? That might shed some light.

You have air in your clutch hydraulic system. It needs to be bled. Even better, for a truck that has sat a few years, change out the clutch master and slave as well as the soft lines. Fill and bleed and enjoy your 45.

I've had a clutch disc "freeze" to the flywheel on a rig that had sat for several years. I had the wife hold the clutch to the floor, and I was underneath and used a screw driver to pry the disc from the flywheel.

I've had a clutch disc "freeze" to the flywheel on a rig that had sat for several years. I had the wife hold the clutch to the floor, and I was underneath and used a screw driver to pry the disc from the flywheel.
I have had this too on an old MG that had sat out for many years. I broke it loose by chugga-chugga starting it in 2nd gear and driving it around the yard with my foot pressing the clutch pedal and "bucking" the car by gassing it and then letting off over and over. After a couple of "bucks" the clutch disc broke loose.

I have a feeling that the OP just has air in his lines. My 60 does the same thing from time to time. I just loosen the bleed valve on the slave cylinder and let it bleed while I top off the master...all while enjoying a tasty beverage.

Correction in OP terminology, it is not "Dis-engaging". Well now you have every possible scenario! : ) but most likely clutch slave bleeding related... extremely common; then down that list almost in order of likelihood.

Classic stuck clutch disc, start it in gear and go down the street, tap the gas pedal a few times, should break free.

A big thank you to all of you who replied to my request including ceylonfjnut, roadstr6, 3-puppies, germaneighter, rlong and whitey45. I am very pleased to say that the clutch is now operating and I have movement !! It was not possible to take the FJ45 out of the barn where it was so I had to operate with it on axle stands. This is what I did. Started up in neutral and let the engine get up to operating temperature for about 15 minutes. Stopped engine. Moved into second gear, pressed in the clutch and kept it there. Started engine. I had a mirror set up so that I could easily see the rotation of the rear wheel. The wheel started to spin when I started the engine. I then revived the engine a couple of times and soon I noticed that the rear wheel was not spinning as I reved the engine. The clutch was now in operation and I could put it in and out of gear. As to ceylonfj40 nut and to why only 30k miles. The FJ45 was purchased by a company that managed a Toll Bridge and did little annual mileage. It was then retired and left off the road and fell into poor condition with a lot of rust. I purchased it about 12 years ago with a desire to deal with the rust and get it back on the road. My journey continues. Thanks again to all of you for comments. Much appreciated.

Absolutely, our payment is pics. Plenty of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom