FJ45 Troopy - replacement water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good Afternoon MudMind!

A coolant leak in my '84 Troopy is necessitating a water pump replacement and despite peering/prying/poking as much as I can in the engine bay, it's challenging to determine exactly what pump is going to fit my truck as there are several flavors out there.

Getting a good picture to share is nearly impossible so I'm wondering if there are tricks anyone can share to determine the correct pump or do I just wing it and hope for the best? And while I can do the required searching, any advice on the best vendor(s)?

Thanks in advance for your help oh great Hive Mud Mind.

Does it still have the original 2F engine? Posters, will need to know the engine year, type, etc of the engine.

Your pump would be same as that in a 40.
if it has a two groove pully it will be different than if it has a one groove pully.
Here are a couple of pics. I'm working on a '84 US spec 2F.

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Does it still have the original 2F engine? Posters, will need to know the engine year, type, etc of the engine.
It has a 2F, unsure if it's the original from 1984 as the truck was restored by a previous owner.

Where did the truck come from? What's the specific model number from the data plate? Is it running an oil cooler? Does the radiator fan have a clutch?

Depending on these answers you can select the right water pump.

-Geoff

Run the numbers at SOR and find out the exact build month and year. Parts will be a cinch after that.

All,

First: thanks for the advice.

Some pictures attached, including one of the plate. Heritage of the truck is that it started life in Australia (RHD) and then went to California, Colorado (rebuild thread here - My 1984 FJ45 Troopy Restore), then Connecticut before I purchased her approx. 3 years ago.

Pump is a two groove pulley 45Kevin.

Where did the truck come from? What's the specific model number from the data plate? Is it running an oil cooler? Does the radiator fan have a clutch?

Depending on these answers you can select the right water pump.

-Geoff
I don't believe it's running an oil cooler (requiring the third nipple off the pump) but embarrassed to say I'm not sure how to determine 100% if it is or is not.

TroopyPlate.JPG

WaterPump1.JPG

WaterPump2.JPG

WaterPump3.JPG

WaterPump4.JPG

Oil cooler would be visible next to the oil filter, mounted to the side of the block - it looks like a rectangle with a hose going in and out of it. Like a small paperback book. Your truck did not come with an oil cooler from the factory per the model number.

For your model, with the radiator fan clutch (as seen in the pics) the part numbers are 16100-61120 and 16100-61071. So the link looks to be correct.

Before you pull the trigger I would get with Kurt at @cruiseroutfit. He's a supporting vendor and is very knowledgeable. I would bet he has what you need in stock at a good price.

-Geoff

Oil cooler on an '84 US spec 2F.

photo.JPG

forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-2f-water-pump-nos.936151/

Looks like this one would do the trick.

According to your VIN you have an Aussie spec 9/84 FJ45 (ARL VAN RHD 2F 4F VKC CBU WORB)

It looks like your heater line is plugged? Not running a cab heater?

We should have the pump you need, our part# EGW60170

EGW61070.JPG

According to your VIN you have an Aussie spec 9/84 FJ45 (ARL VAN RHD 2F 4F VKC CBU WORB)

It looks like your heater line is plugged? Not running a cab heater?

We should have the pump you need, our part# EGW60170

View attachment 1284507

Thanks Kurt - I am not running a rear heater unit. There is heat in the front. But I cannot see/feel any additional hose coming off the lower side of the water pump so I think that what you've spec'ed above is correct. Can you please PM me with price and shipping? I would immensely prefer UPS ground or two day (depending on cost between those two speeds). Similarly, to avoid any complications, I would like to add any gaskets related to the water pump or add ons that are typically needed in a water pump installation (fan? fan clutch?).

Thanks in advance - I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Evan

Thanks Kurt - I am not running a rear heater unit. There is heat in the front. But I cannot see/feel any additional hose coming off the lower side of the water pump so I think that what you've spec'ed above is correct. Can you please PM me with price and shipping? I would immensely prefer UPS ground or two day (depending on cost between those two speeds). Similarly, to avoid any complications, I would like to add any gaskets related to the water pump or add ons that are typically needed in a water pump installation (fan? fan clutch?).

Thanks in advance - I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Evan

I'm out of the shop through Tuesday but the pump is $105 and includes the needed pump to block gaskets. We also stock the fan clutch and fan blade if you're interested in those.

I'm out of the shop through Tuesday but the pump is $105 and includes the needed pump to block gaskets. We also stock the fan clutch and fan blade if you're interested in those.

Thanks Kurt. PM'ed you with contact details as I would like to purchase this and get it shipped out as soon as you're back in the shop.

I'll personally be out for a few days but the sales team at the shop can easily get you sorted. In order to determine which fan clutch you need, I'll need to know the number of fan blades you have and the OD of the fan blade. Options for your FJ45 with fan clutch are 430 and 450

Capture.JPG

We've got OEM and aftermarket options for all of them. From your pics it looks like you have the 7 blade 430? Sounds right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom