FJ45 SWB rear cross member length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have the length of the rear cross member on a SWB FJ45? I can’t find it on the drawings and there doesn’t seem to be one around to measure. I used to have this info but the wife cleaned that desk and the notes went with it. Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Where are the tail lights? If in the back corner of the bed won't know but if on the end of the rear frame member would think the same as a FJ40 thru early 69 since the SWB FJ45 is the same width on the body as a FJ40.

Thanks for the response. This is a short wheel base 45 project so the lights are on the body. I know this cross member is wider than a 40 but I can’t recall how much. Now that you mention it, it’s orobably the difference the lights cover but I just don’t know.

Thanks for the response. This is a short wheel base 45 project so the lights are on the body. I know this cross member is wider than a 40 but I can’t recall how much. Now that you mention it, it’s orobably the difference the lights cover but I just don’t know.

Not all tail lights were mounted in the body, some of them were on the rear frame member which would have been easy. Might start a thread in the 45 section. Not sure if all SWB 45 owners have a 40 and read this section as much as the 45 section.

Does anyone have the length of the rear cross member on a SWB FJ45? I can’t find it on the drawings and there doesn’t seem to be one around to measure. I used to have this info but the wife cleaned that desk and the notes went with it. Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Brad, I can give you the dimensions again, I misplace stuff once in a while. Give me a call.
Paul

here is what i used
TOYOTA LAND CRUISER--Landcruiser REAR FRAME MEMBER EARLY- 9/73 FJ40 | eBay
i seem to recall needing to cut off approx 1/4" from each side? and possibly welding a couple holes shut and re drilling in the correct location.

The hole would only be correct for the 68-73 models. Bumperettes are further in than earlier years because of the reflectors added 68-73 outside the bumperettes. These are not dimpled where the rivots are for the side rails on top. Have never seen anyone make the with the dimple. Did you need to add a spacer on the top to fill the space? Also would have thought without tail lights on the end these frame members would have been longer.

Brad, I can give you the dimensions again, I misplace stuff once in a while. Give me a call.
Paul

Paul could you post up what you find. Interested in the difference between these and the 40s with tail lights and the early SWB FJ45 with tail lights on the frame end.

ahh.. the "dimple" Now i remember, that is a simple metal spacer i tapped in with a hammer.. Imagine a 2" square metal spacer about 3/8" think with 2 holes that goes between the frame and this channel where that divot is..
I used fine thread allen bolts with the rounded head so they look like rivets. I didn't use the factory bed so take Paul's measurement.

I can measure my ‘63 FJ45LP SWB fixed top frame member, it’s removed. The taillights mount to it, not the body so probably different than yours.

@Awl_TEQ makes rear frame rails for 40s with the dimple. Currently has the designs for the later '74-on. He and I have been working on one with the correct holes for the pre-68 40s and also the '68-72 as well. Should be getting close.

Awl_TEQ Metal Parts etc.

img_6838-jpg.1393578

Last edited:
@oregon fj the pre-68 cross member will be for taillights that bolt to the ends?

Spoke with Paul tonight. I dont know the year on his FJ45 SWB but his has lights on the cross member. Based on the notes i took during our conversation, the cross member is 50 3/8 long. The outside frame rail width where it enters the cross member (it widens from this point) is 45 7/16. The center of the dimple that drops down to the frame on this cross member is 3 3/8 from the outside edge of the cross member on each side.
Thanks to everyone for the input and special thanks to Paul for crawling around in the grass to get these measurements for me. This group is amazing and I sincerely appreciate the help from everyone.

My cross member matches @3_puppies but is probably a bit more beat up, lol.
IMG_1462.JPG

So Arne looks like the early 45’s cross members are a bit different, at least in length.

my measurements are from a 1963, the crossmember has the small taillight brackets that bolt onto the ends of the crossmember. they aren't attached currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom