FJ45 rollovers and the need for a roll cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Searching for the FJ40 rollovers on the FJ40 forum I noticed that a lot of reported incidents were at the speed below 45mph, especially when brakes slammed hard from someone pulled out in front, causing the vehicles to skid and hit the curbs. One rollover was caused by a loose steering rod clamp when he was going only 20mph.

Then I saw this picture of a 45/47! Don't know what the story was and hopeful the occupants were OK. But even that hard top collapsed!

Most of the time, I'm cruising topless, door-less, no roll cages, bench seats, lap belts only. And I do use the interstate highway cruising at 65mph at times. I'm now strongly in favor of a roll cage, bucket seats and 5-point belts.

My 45 came with a roll bar in it. Getting into the cab is a little tighter but if your not 5'9" or more it's not an issue. I am glad it is there. If you don't want to put a cage in the cab you could always build a solid role bar the mounts in the bed right behind the cab.

Long thread but Mike built a nice cage for his 45.

I opted for some limited protection outside the cab. So I built some protection between the cab and my smaller bed, then a rack in the bed that is beefy. One directly to the frame, the other indirectly. Used thicker tubing, etc.
It allows easy transport of boats, lumber, ladders, mtn bikes.

It doesn’t have lots of diagonals and other race type advantages, but doubt it would completely collapse in hiway rollover.
But also remember, death usually results from sudden decelerations not compartment encroachment. The bending of these components somewhat cushions your organs.
I rarely go over 45, rarely have doors in summer and also like the mild added side protection in the event of t-bone.

Drive slow, these rigs were never built for speed. Not saying that is an absolute guarantee but in case of a blowout I want to be going slower, not faster.

My 45 came with a roll bar in it. Getting into the cab is a little tighter but if your not 5'9" or more it's not an issue. I am glad it is there. If you don't want to put a cage in the cab you could always build a solid role bar the mounts in the bed right behind the cab.
It would be possible to build a OEM-like bed canopy using stronger material that would give some protection and not offend the purists too

View attachment 2018743

Like this?
701E3C4B-66B1-44BD-98E5-73068CE2355F.jpeg
36CEECBE-9C4A-4434-9D65-C2C3070E2CBA.jpeg

(Quote) Like this?

That cage is only as strong as the bed. The bed isn't much stronger than the body. So without braces from the legs angled downward toward the frame and bolted, that's just a thick band-aid.

Life goes hand-in-hand with death. Risks surround us constantly. Just driving any vehicle comes inherent with the risk of death or injury. Driving any older vehicle increases the risk. And driving off-road even furthers the gamble.

Each driver reaches his/her own point of acceptance. Some people are very lax, others a bit protective and behave carefully, and still some people believe all risk in life could and should be removed, and thus must live in terror their entire lives. Now enters California, my nanny state. Here we are continually bombarded with messages about the dangers of paint, fuel, metals, cell phones, microwaves, and the food we eat--it is already overwhelming. Perhaps our lawmakers will next demand that the risk of driving be printed on car windows for people who cannot figure it out.

Most any type of roll bar/cage is an improvement. The better designs offer more protection, but nothing will ever cover 100% of all the possible contingencies. So in the final analysis we are all gamblers, some more so than others.

Anyway, that's my take.

Last edited:
If you add a cage you'll need decent padding to protect your scone. Even gently putting it on its side on an embankment can create enough force to kill you if you headbutt the bar work. So it comes back to the age old question of purity vs. comfort/safety. I personally have enough life comfort with my sofa/mobile phone/Netflix/electricity/running water/cafes/etc.

Searching for the FJ40 rollovers on the FJ40 forum I noticed that a lot of reported incidents were at the speed below 45mph, e

If i remember correctly I put some Toyota FJ45 Paris-Dakar pictures in a topic FJ45 old photos ...
...doesn.t remember the correct heading.
All they used ... if I remember correct was a rollbar in the bed behind the cabin.
Have no time to search... do it by your own.
Cheers
Decals 4 your 45

toyota-land-cruiser-n-272-metal-5-paris-dakar-1983-decal-143e.jpg

Last edited:
To help you the bar really needs to attach the frame and have a diagonal to keep the bar from collapsing as well as 2 rear legs. This at least gives you something over you head ala older CJ -5 and 7 jeeps. Padding as well at least in any area your head will hit.

Cool model, where did you find it?
All I have found until now is the picture not the model ...
....still on the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom