fj45 rear bumper ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We are in the process of making a first article prototype based on this design.
rear bumper first article.PNG

One tip from my oldest LC buddy JB: make the end caps out of 3/8 and have them hang down 3/4-1” below the bumper.

The flat at the end of the bumper is mighty handy for using a highlift Jack on. The extended end cap will help keep the jack there.😉

@65swb45 I really like the idea of having a ledge or pocket for the toe of the hi-lift. When using your Hi-lift off a rear bumper, are you typically lifting from the rear or side?

I think I am going to steal that idea, but cut a pocket into the flat of the bottom plate, for the toe of the jack.

The current design is all 5/16” plate, should it be thicker? Tow hook Clevis are 1-1/4”x 3” 4140CD. Current weight is 260lb without powder.

I hear where you’re coming from on cutting a recess. I think it’s a lot of extra work, and detracts from the smooth lines of the bumper.

The extended end cap idea also acts like a sacrificial drag point, like on the back of an RV , for off road use.

Not that I know anything about wheeling a 45. :rolleyes:

In all honestly most 45s could use an extra 250# back there. I know mine could. If I had not pulled out my old spare carrier and payed it forward o would have put a tire back under there and filled it with water.

Wouldn’t know; all my junk’s heavy (borrowed that line😉)

Good point @65swb45, cutting a recess would also expose the inside of the bumper.

With my current design, the side and bottom panels are all one piece, laser cut and CNC folded from one piece. The main body of the bumper is just two pieces. We will weld the seams together, TIG weld the tow clevis.

maybe just add a ledge component to the bottom? We could use Ar500 wear plate and welding it to the bottom like you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom