FJ45 Overheating Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I was after any suggestions relating to an overheating issue that I am having with my 1965 FJ45 3 speed. I have replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, flushed the block & installed an electric fan but when I drive on the highway the temperature climbs to 110 degrees celcius or higher. I have tested both the inlet & outlet hoses of the radiator & they appear to be the same temperature (with the old & new radiators). Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum. Some pics of the engine bay might help us spot something. Some pics outside of the engine bay would help because we just like looking at them. :)
First thing that comes to mind, did you properly burp the cooling system and get all the air out?

And what engine do you have?

Welcome to the forum. Some pics of the engine bay might help us spot something. Some pics outside of the engine bay would help because we just like looking at them. :)
First thing that comes to mind, did you properly burp the cooling system and get all the air out?
No worries I will try & get some tonight. What is the best way to burp the system?

Original 1965 radiator? 4 blade fan? Shroud?

What is the best way to burp the system?
That funnel John mentioned works great. Also, park on an incline with front end up, radiator cap off, and heater valve open.

Had the original fan & I had a shroud made, when I replaced the radiator it came with an electric fan & shroud which I installed.
I think going back to the factory manual fan is the way to go. What radiator did you put in?

No worries I will try & get some tonight. What is the best way to burp the system?

Great piece of kit..

D8B53353-C6CB-45E6-A8EE-290965FF9A71.jpeg

My vote, burp system. Has air in it. Had similar few years back in my brothers 40 after replacing water pump, etc…

Have purged two ways… only my method 😎

Start truck and remove cap (before anything heats up). Do not remove a hot cap. I have filled radiator this way (only when cool) and you can see the air “burping” out.

Other way, trick I learned from an underground maint tech…assuming you have a radiator cap that be 1/2 closed but not to fully closed/sealed position, run it with cap in the first stage position where air can still escape past seal and it will purge as well. After x miles, turn cap all the way to full lock position.

But if this doesn’t sort…as mentioned above, bit more info needed.

Why the changes above? Was there an underlying overheating issue originally that electric fan, upgrade radiate, etc… were added to treat the symptom?

Was it just a preventative “while I’m in here” upgrade, etc…?

X blade fan, shroud, etc… as Mark mentioned.

Good luck! Keep us posted. Hopefully the simple burp! 😎

Nik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom