FJ45 LWB: is white roof white on underside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a thread that said the 60's FJ45 LWB had a roof the same color as the body but Toyota changed to white roofs sometime in the 70's.

So, for those that have a FJ45 with a white roof and it is still factory and not a repaint, is the underside of the roof painted white too? I’m especially interested in the area outside the cab and above the windshield frame, is this white or body color?

And lastly, what is the general opinion on which looks better. White roof, or body color roof?

I like the white roof look with some colors. Others I’m not so sure about. Of course you could always paint the body white and then it’s both body color and a white roof. I’m considering this option since I like white but I'm having a hard time resisting Beige or Green.

Here's the thread that discussed the years that had and did not have white roofs.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/48188-stock-colors-66-45-a.html

My 1980 has a white top. The entire "Cap" is white, under the headliner and all. The rest of the truck is Dune.

My 78 roof is all white as well - inside, outside and underneath. The white roof and headlight bezel says "Landcruiser" to me, no matter the body color. I like white in general for all vehicles because it looks clean the longest. Dark colors look dirty with 5 minutes worth of dust on them. Dark colors also look very good when clean too. My favorite stock color is the dune beige - it just makes the 40/45 series look more safari-ish.

thu: LC: HJ45 roof off
it`s true, white is the color ;)
Cheers
Peter

Peter,
Thanks for the link to the pictures. Definitely white all around. It's actually surprising to me Toyota painted the roof as a separate piece not attached to the cab. I would have figured they laid a primer/sealer down on all parts then assembled and then painted final color. This, the way I described it, was the way it appeared to be done on my '79 fj40. When I disassembled it, there as no body color paint between panels, just a sealer or primer color which was definitely not the body color.

You're likely right - except the top was probably not installed. Oh, and the bezel too ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom