FJ45 Gearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to figure out what I should do with my 45 gears. I originally geared it for 37's and the calculation said 4.88s, so that's what its got. It's always seemed too low geared for the highway, but was okay off-road. I don't do much serious off-roading with it and probably won't, so I down-sized the tires to 35's and want to re-gear to 4.11s I think.

So the current set-up is 4.88 in a locked 60 series rear axle and 4.88 in the front with a lock-right (lunchbox locker?)

I have two 4.11 open diffs sitting in the garage. I should be able to just pull the existing diffs out and bolt in the open diffs, right? I think the the open diffs have the same pinion flange bolt pattern, as what's currently in there, but I'm not 100% certain. But an open diff will bolt into an elocker housing won't it?

I know I'll be losing the lock-right in front, which I think I'm okay with and I've never have got the rear e-locker to work in the truck. I tried messing with it a few times, but not sure what's wrong with it. I figure in 18 years that I've had it, if I've not used it, I probably don't need it...

Thoughts, Opinions? Am I a dumbass for going this direction?

Dan

Is the locker an OEM e-locker? The factory e-locker housing has a different bolt pattern for the shift fork to work IIRC, so I dont think you can put a non-locker diff in that housing.
here is a thread for a 70 series housing conversion so you can get an idea of how it works?

here's a thread on converting a non locked 80 series housing into a locked housing ( reverse of what you want to do)

Thanks. I'll check those threads out. I thought there was some grinding to do to the housing of a non-locker to get the locker-diff to go in, but figured the non-locked diff would fit in the same hole, just with some extra clearance.

Right now, going down the freeway, I'm topped out at 60, with my 'seat of the pants' tach...

Right now, going down the freeway, I'm topped out at 60, with my 'seat of the pants' tach...

Ya 4.88’s do that unless you running 37+ rubber.

Cheers

Is the e-locker axle housing from an 80? I thought they were all 60 axles under it? I don't know the pattern of the 60 locker housing, I have only dealt with them a couple of times and don't remember.

The housings under it are 60 series FF.

If I get a chance I can compare the gasket part numbers to see if they are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom