1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ45 gas tank repair

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ60, Feb 23, 2004.

1. FJ60

FJ60

after pulling a rather large piece of shag carpet from under the gas tank in my FJ45 I THOUGHT I had done a good thing preventing moisture and further rusting. Apparently the carpet was absorbing the fuel from the leak in the tank and I just THOUGHT it smelled like fuel before :D now it's unbearable.

Should I clean and try to reline my old tank??? I'm fairly sure I wont find a factory replacement for my 1967 Fj45...

questions, comments and smart ass remarks accepted :D

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
  3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    There's nothing for it but to give me your truck and I'll deal with it.

No, really, you could try the POR 15/American standard or whatever brand it is reliner. Or you could have it relined at a radiator shop for twice as much money. Or call the tech line at SOR and ask them what fits. The carpet may have been there to reduce vibration and consequent wear on the tank metal, and not just to absorb gas.

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm thinking Dave's right about the carpet, as the PO prolly had a leak earlier. If it's some minor pitting, I've used Marine Tex and it's worked well long term. Make sure you wire brush out the leaky area well first.

5. FJ60

FJ60

I went through the yellow pages looking for someone to do my FJ40 tank about a year ago and finally gave up and patched the tank.

I thought the fuel smell was from the old seats but now I have fuel in the passenger floor ::) so I'm hoping to repair this somehow when I run the rest of the gas out.

I was having trouble with the altenator and P.S. pump too and best I can tell they both need replaced :p (alt. not charging - p.s. groaning to high heaven).

6. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I'll take a look at my 45 and 65 fj40 to see if the tanks are the same or if I think they would swap...........but for some reason I think the 45 tank is a 45 tank..........not sure why

7. FJ60

FJ60

the top looks just like the Fj40 tank but I believe it's alot deeper and shaped to fit into the recess under the seat. I had considered a fuel cell but have no plans yet :p

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I am fairly certain that the FJ45 gas tank is different from the FJ40 also. No first hand knowledge, but from what I have seen in pictures.

Also, SOR's fuel tank page has this entry, below all of the FJ40 tank listings:

FJ45PU GASTANK----(Discontinued-No longer available) 0.00 No

9. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    At this point, you might as well try to line it. Remove the sender unit and put some CLR in it along with a piece of chain. Rattle that around in there to get all the scale out of it, most will be in the bottom, where the water was. Then take it to a carwash and blast it out as best you can, let it dry and follow the instructions on the POR product. If you end up with more than a pinhole, you can patch it from the outside with a fuel resistant epoxy, then line it. The tank should be reinstalled with some rubber supports underneath it, I used pieces of mudflap and some trim cement to hold them in place while reinstalling. It has worked so far.
    GL :)
    Ed

10. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    The rubber supports reduce the electrolysis induced oxidation of the metal of the tank by insulation. Rubber works better than water soaked carpet for this purpose.

:D

11. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11955;start=msg109079#msg109079 date=1077563889]
    I'll take a look at my 45 and 65 fj40 to see if the tanks are the same or if I think they would swap...........but for some reason I think the 45 tank is a 45 tank..........not sure why
    [/quote]

Becasue you are probably correct....I will look and measure when I get to the shop Tues. AM, and see what I find...For some reason, I thought that someone I ran with once in NM had installed a 40 tank in his 66-45 LWB pickup because of the tank rotting out...

12. FJ60

FJ60

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=11955;start=msg109079#msg109079 date=1077563889]
    [/quote]
    WELL!

:D

13. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

Semi Hijack
    How thick of rubber pads do you guys use under you gas tanks? Thanks.

14. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    1/4-3/8"

belting from an ag dealer works well...

15. red66toy

red66toy dorkus malorkus GOLD Star

wow, thanks for the help and the quick reply. :)

16. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Deep South Cruisers link=board=1;threadid=11955;start=msg109597#msg109597 date=1077646180]
    WELL!

[/quote]

The two tanks, while looking similar are different. Your best bet would be to have yours repaired. I have had this done to a few tanks at a radiator shop. Sorry for propogating misinformation....

17. pygpen

pygpen

I'll second that ;)
    I have a 65 FJ40 and a 65 FJ45. The tank from the 40 would not fit the 45 due to the rear seam IIRC. Call radiator shops about boiling it out and repairing it.
    PMK

18. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    IIRC, they don't "boil" it out because the caustic removes the zinc coating that is supposed to prevent rust. My shop steam cleaned mine and used a POR type liner in it, seem so far...so good. I think they ripped me though...$80.
    Ed

19. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you have to do anything other than bring them the tank Ed?

20. cdv3286

cdv3286

What do you guys mean by lining the tank?