FJ45 Fuel Line Restrictions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to take the FJ45 to a local garage to get the emissions test done. My neighbor works there and did me a favor by looking into the truck was running rough. He told me that he found the fuel filter and vapor filter restricted and will need replacement. Fuel filter I understood. When I asked about the vapor filter, he said it was the small bell shaped filter that was attached to the back of the cab where some hoses were comimg out of the fuel tank under the passenger seat.

When I called NAPA and then the Toyota dealership, neither place was able to find a 'Vapor Filter' listed. What should I be asking for?

Michael

not real sure if this is it, but I think it is also called an EVAP Canister. I believe it is just a chamber that allows the fumes from the tank an area to condense and drain back into the tank. If this is plugged you would end up with too much vacuum on the tank and esentually starving the engine. This is a vent system that should let air in while the truck is taking gas out.

I could just be talking out my but, but who know. Hope this helps.

Chris

might be meaning the fuel seperator(I think thats the name for it). What year is your 45? I know my 67 sure doesn't have one, but the newer 40's do.

I am thinking it is #45 on this pic he means

168-b-new.gif

this is on a fj40 but I suspect a fj45(if a mid 70's model) has something similar

So what about the one canister that sits on the passenger fender, maybe a charcoal canister? Doesn't it connect to the tank and absorbs evaporating fuel that gets past the aforementioned part? If we had a picture I would know if I had one or not.. I am smogless :)

yes there is a charcoal canister on my 40s, not sure when it started prolly around 76 or so. And yes it conects to the tank and some other stuff.

this is my 82, you can just see the top of the canister, its between the batteries and ARB compessor, to the left of the green plug and under the grey wire that is looped.
38346775.jpg

[quote author=Kief link=board=1;threadid=11118;start=msg100653#msg100653 date=1076117188]
So what about the one canister that sits on the passenger fender, maybe a charcoal canister? Doesn't it connect to the tank and absorbs evaporating fuel that gets past the aforementioned part? If we had a picture I would know if I had one or not.. I am smogless :)
[/quote]

It is a 78 FJ45. I will take a picture tonight after I make sure that my neighbor and I am on the same sheet of music.

Landpimp,
I just scrolled back up and saw the diagram. #45 looks like the piece attached to the back of the cab. Is that the fuel seperator? I want to say that I remember a line coming off of there with what looks to be a bell shaped white filter of sorts.

I'll snag a picture and also touch base with my neighbor to see if that was the piece he was referring to.

yes they call it fuel/vapor seporator. The pic is from Spector, just search for fuel and it will pop up. Pic was for a 1/75-1/79 FJ40

It should be mounted behind the inner cover up by the gas filler.....I think.

Now I am betting your 45 is from Canada so it might not ever have had one, the canadian Cruisers back then had no emission stuff I beleive.

[quote author=madams557 link=board=1;threadid=11118;start=msg100681#msg100681 date=1076119851]
Landpimp,
I just scrolled back up and saw the diagram. #45 looks like the piece attached to the back of the cab. Is that the fuel seperator? I want to say that I remember a line coming off of there with what looks to be a bell shaped white filter of sorts.

I'll snag a picture and also touch base with my neighbor to see if that was the piece he was referring to.
[/quote]

It is from Canada and it doesn't have any emissions stuff, but I am pretty sure I saw that puppy sitting behind the passenger seat.

Here is a picture I took this morning. I'm thinking it is the white piece that might be the problem.

that looks like a regualar ole fuel filter to me, can't you just replace it with a generic one?

Landpimp,
That's exactly what I thought, so I want to check with my neighbor again to see if that is the part that he was talking about. I think it is because he mentioned something about any generic vapor filter would work, but the dumb-founded look on the NAPA parts man had me worried. I think I just take this picture in and see if that will help jog his brain cells.

You don't by chance think that it is the #45 part that is causing problems? Is there a filtering system in there or just a hose junction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom