fj45 destroyed while being delivered in Central Valley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One has to hand the title over to the insurance to get it branded, ask me how I know. I deal with this kind of thing all the time in the towing and recovery business.

@matzell - what do you mean by branded? The title is coming via UPS, it's still in the old owners name. I'm sure they are going to want it before I can get it in my name - and I'm not sure I can put it in my name, now that the car is totaled.

What condition was this FJ45 in before the fire. Was it running and driving, and how was the exterior. Sorry for your loss.

If you have not done it yet, go down and get a clean title in your name Monday before it gets branded "salvage" If you do it quick enough you can get a clean title before they know it. If you ever restore it then it will be worth more. At least the title will be in your name since you just bought it.
One has to hand the title over to the insurance to get it branded, ask me how I know. I deal with this kind of thing all the time in the towing and recovery business.

Totalled a truck in 2004. Had to sign the title over to the insurance company to get my check. Even if you rush and get a title it would have to be surrendered to the insurance company.

Yup, looks like the cab of the tow vehicle was on fire first. The wind is pushing the smoke toward the 45, causing the trailer to catch next. Engine compartment of tow truck looks undamaged from the first pic. Maybe the driver was smoking and dropped a cigarette on his upholstery? IDK, this just sucks. Something that should never happen to a cruiser. Poor thing, I could only imagine how happy it was going to a new home. Hope everything works in your best interest from this point forward.

It may just depend on your insurance company. I was rear ended towing my trailer and the trailer was totaled. I told them from the start that I wanted to buy it back. They inspected it, sent me a check and then I bought it back. They never asked for the title. I repaired and have used it ever since. Maybe they handle it differently with vehicles compared to trailers.

Yes, it was running and entirely original, including PTO winch. I wouldn't drive it across country, but it worked.

I can tell you, insurance will absolutely know what vehicle started fire first.

The driver SHOULD be insured. I have a hard time believing the 45 started the fire. My guess would be the truck then it went back, but stranger things have happened. Buy back should be ridiculously cheap, like $200 or less. My hail damaged 2000 TDI jetta was hail damaged and totaled, (imo it isn't that bad at all) but they totalled it, payed out way more than I thought and buy back was $300 for a running/driving vehicle. In your case, honestly it's not worth that much after a fire, but you SHOULD buy it back for really cheap.

Okay, if I go down there tomorrow, isn't there any reason I can't claim the car as mine and take it home. I'll call the tow yard in a bit (too early) and see what they say.

But, if I get down there and they let me have her, help me walk through how the hell I get her home. She won't drive and she's on 4 ruined tires.

Here's what I was thinking

1. Take the floor jack and jack stands and get all four wheels off, take them to a local tire shop and get some rubber on them
2. Rent a trailer from Uhaul, and get some help at the yard to drag the rig onto the trailer. Can't figure out how else to do it. And strap it down
3. Drag the thing home

Start getting some comparable values to use when the negotiations start. Also expect more than one low ball offer from the insurance company. Get a hold of the delivery driver his insurance has to make you whole. Expect all of the rubber pieces to be junk and the upper engine gaskets. Heat damages stuff higher up. How is the interior? Everything will start rusting the minute the fire is out. The heat treatment of some parts may now be suspect. Good luck.

Okay, if I go down there tomorrow, isn't there any reason I can't claim the car as mine and take it home. I'll call the tow yard in a bit (too early) and see what they say.

But, if I get down there and they let me have her, help me walk through how the hell I get her home. She won't drive and she's on 4 ruined tires.

Here's what I was thinking

1. Take the floor jack and jack stands and get all four wheels off, take them to a local tire shop and get some rubber on them
2. Rent a trailer from Uhaul, and get some help at the yard to drag the rig onto the trailer. Can't figure out how else to do it. And strap it down
3. Drag the thing home

A come a long or winch can help get a rig on a trailer. Pushing a rig on a UHaul trailer would be a tough endeavor.

I'll call the tow yard
Start here. They will tell you what is required to pick it up. You will probably need the title in hand to prove it's yours. They will have some fees also. The insurance company will likely send an adjuster to inspect and take pictures for the claim. If you take it before that, it could become a nightmare to get a settlement.

I agree, I would wait til the adjuster comes out, after things are in the works, you have the right to bring it to any location for repair, but the tow yard has to release it first. The value shouldn’t be an issue as you just paid x amount for it? They should at the very least pay out what you just paid. Wish I had more time, I would help go rescue it!

Yes, value should not be an issue, I have proof of what I paid. I didn't think about the adjuster, that's a good point. Although, they could just send the adjuster to my house - his insurance is Progressive. I'm hoping to get a call from them today. I assume any tow yard fees will eventually be paid for the insurance company?

just remember, you do not have to accept any offer from his insurance company. keep fighting. keep demanding more. your are the one that has been inconvenienced and harmed by him.

At minimum you should get full value plus his first born.

Yeah, things start to get a little muddled up when you are dealing with someone elses insurance. Since he has a claim started, they are going to need to look everything over. You have (I assume) a contract with him for delivery so I'm not sure whats in that about accident/event/etc where you can come get it...especially in a total loss type of event.

I don't believe you can just go grab it and take it home, even though I think it's your right to. This is a little more convoluted then your standard I wrecked, or someone hit me scenario.

As someone who has had 3 totaled vehicle claims, I agree...Fight for what it's worth as their insurance company is not looking out for you.

@Lil'John - great list, I will take all that. I'm going to see if anyone in PMC has a set of 'road' wheels and tires I can borrow.

@LS1FJ40 - I'm pretty sure they are going to have to pay the $15k. The trick will be not to have it 'salvaged'. I guess they could try to say they are going to pay me market value and try to offer me less, but that would be pretty hard having just done an arms length transaction.

Get title in your name in hand and then go get it. The other insurance should be involved first. Do not hand over title!. The tow yard will have charges that need to be paid before they will let it go. Find a way to get it and keep it till you decide what you want to do. Storage will add up everyday it sits at the yard. I am at $40 per day.

Notify your insurance that you bought it and had a problem when it was being delivered. Do not start a claim yet. WAIT till you hear from the other insurance. Have you already added it to your policy? I hope so. The transporter should have insurance to cover the rig and I would go after them first.

Good luck.

BTW, I bought a vehicle that the insurance said was totaled. I got the title and put it in my name before even getting the vehicle. The insurance asked the owner for it to make it salvage, he said he sold it for parts. Meanwhile I got the vehicle, repaired it and have a clean title. Here is a pic of it now.

76 40 at WLSC.jpg

@matzell It will takes weeks for Calif to generate a title for me. This should all be over before that can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom