FJ45 Cab and Bed Soft top (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
So I've got a couple of these under my belt and pretty much have all the kinks out. It's not nearly as easy as bolting on a set of shortened 40 bows and here is why. The b pillar post that comes out of the stock 40 bows doesn't line up with the hole in the b pillar tub. It's off maybe 3/4 of an inch. As well the standard 40 bows use a 1" diameter tube that slides down in the b pillar. On 45's this hole is 7/8. So in order for it to fit right you have to cut the tube coming out of the bows and weld a 7/8" tube in the correct place. Also I have to fab a plate that the rear bow slides into and helps secure the rear section of the bows to the tub. All the extra fab work means the bows won't be cheap. 950$ just for the cab bows.

The top also is quite complicated. It's a standard 40 top all the way to the b pillar. But after that it's all custom. I designed it to have 5 windows. 2 on the sides and 3 in the back like the 40's. This way you can actually see what's beside you. The way the top fastens is two ways. On the inside I have bungee loops that you will attach to whatever fastener you choose. There are two 45 tubs the late and early. Both have different attachment points. I could have included machine hooks but I only think half of you would have used them. Some people want stainless some want painted, etc... Most people will drill holes in the top plate where the hard top comes down. And attach the bungees there. I include 12 bungee loops. I also am leaving it up to you where you want them. I normally put 3 in each corner. The rest on the back. They are very easy to install. Just requires making a small hole in the flap sewn into the back of the top and squeezing them together. This means there are no holes to drill for footman loops around the outside of your tub. The second form of attachment to now that the top is being held down by the bungees is the magnets. These are crazy strong magnets. Three in each corner and 4 that go on the batten that slides into the rear roll up door. They keep the edges from flopping around in the wind. The rear window can be rolled up just like the 40 windows.
The price for the cab is 875.

10940433_773676926050876_6342886067934612219_n.jpg

10931397_773676942717541_4102059781840986003_n.jpg

1016895_721521494599753_662194978309356273_n.jpg

1011626_718845798200656_4859782201493427917_n.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Will the rear of the cab roll/zip up? If it doesn't it would be cool to get a piece of glass in the top like modern convertables

I've been think about a soft top for years. What I would like is a canopy that covers the bed when the hard top is on, and the front of the canopy is long enough and has the right hardware to clip into the windshield frame when the hardtop is removed.

See what I'm getting at?

It could have a window so your rear view mirror can be used in HT mode, and then in ST mode you have a sun roof.

Would it be possible to get a custom top made for my 45? It currently has an old soft top that I could ship to you as a reference for measurements. I'll attach a couple pics to give you an idea of what it looks like.

NCM_0334.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

NCM_0336.JPG

I've been think about a soft top for years. What I would like is a canopy that covers the bed when the hard top is on, and the front of the canopy is long enough and has the right hardware to clip into the windshield frame when the hardtop is removed.

See what I'm getting at?

It could have a window so your rear view mirror can be used in HT mode, and then in ST mode you have a sun roof.
Like having a bikini top attached to the top front of the bed? And it rolls up?

Wait. Instead of a bikini attached you want to use the widow behind the cab as the bikini. Correct?

Cool idea. Let me get this model under my belt and the patterns made.

I'm already incorporating my magnets and zip out windows on this one because the customer specifically requested it. There shouldn't be any holes that need to be drilled except the 4 on the rail in the cab for the back bows. Instead of the compound bend it just needs to be straight down and mount to a plate on the sill.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to get a custom top made for my 45? It currently has an old soft top that I could ship to you as a reference for measurements. I'll attach a couple pics to give you an idea of what it looks like.

I would certainly be willing to look at it. Couple of things I see. The huge blind spot. That huge spare tire.

Love the rack.

I would certainly be willing to look at it. Couple of things I see. The huge blind spot. That huge spare tire.

Love the rack.

Cool thanks. Everything's currently getting rebuilt and I'll be looking to do the top in a couple of months. The huge back window helps quite a bit with the blind spot but I like your idea of small windows in the corners. When the time gets closer to get the top done, I will hit you up and see if we can get it done.

Here is what we did for a FJ43 soft top pickup if anyone wants ideas. I loved the idea personally but I may be unique in that. With the bigger tires the proportions look good to me. I like the roll up rear flap which makes the truck like a bikini top. The top is made from heavy vinyl and has a black 2nd layer on the inside. We used a custom roll hoop to integrate with the metal bars for the top. The quick release black plastic clips are not as refined as what Trollhole is doing. There is so much labor that goes into this kind of work. Not meaning to hijack your thread you are doing great work.

IMG_5567.JPG
IMG_5568.JPG
IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5557.JPG

Troll,
Any thoughts about a softtop to go over the bed of an FJ45 SWB? It's fixed hardtop, but would still be cool to have a canvas cover for the bed.

For this truck:
100_0419-jpg.621918

Last edited:
Jim you get me measurements and I can make it happen. Mounting the frame to the bed would be the difficult part. Need some more pics of the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom