FJ45 Build Plan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Another FJ45 build in the making :)

Over the last two and a half years I have been rebuilding my LJ78 (Post here), but this one is coming to an end, hence planning my next project - An FJ45 with a 1HZ 5 speed conversion.

I have done some initial research and hoping to get some additional pointers, gotchas, etc. that I need to consider for this project.

Note - I am still looking for a chassis and body in New Zealand. Due to the conversion and custom features I want to build, I do not mind the interior, engine and axles as all the standard FJ45 engine and driveline parts will be replaced. If anyone in NZ or AUS is reading this and you know of someone looking to sell a chassis and body, please PM me :)

Current plan:

Most of the parts will be sourced from the below providers:
- Home | MrLandcruiser - https://www.mrlandcruiser.com/
- The Fibreglass Factory | Custom Fibreglass Parts For Your Car - https://nz.thefibreglassfactory.com.au/

For the 1HZ conversion, I take the following key components will be required:
- Cross Member - Trans Mount
- Engine Mounts
- Custom Air Box
- 1HZ Engine, Wiring Harness and ECU
- R151F Transmission and T-Case
- Battery will be mounted in the rear to free up space in the engine bay.

Questions:
- Can the standard FJ45 drive shafts be used or will this need to be custom?
- For rear axle conversions, can this be a 75 series axle to support rear disc brakes? What axle swap can be used for the front?
- Do anyone know of ECU wiring documentation supporting this conversion?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Sounds good, nothing tricky in the plan at all. Question though, why an R151F? It's a great gearbox I know, but an H55F 5 speed was made to go behind a 1HZ and will be far easier for the conversion. Plus, although I stand to be corrected, all t cases for the r151 are center output, whereas the rear axle, even from a 75 is offset.

To answer your questions:
1. With an h55f I do believe you can use the stock drive shafts, but my memory on that is going back a while and I'm sure some one with more recent experience will chime in.
2. 75 in the rear will work, 75 can work in the front too. Seen it done here.
3. The 1hz doesn't need an ECU, that's what's so great about it

Sounds good, nothing tricky in the plan at all. Question though, why an R151F? It's a great gearbox I know, but an H55F 5 speed was made to go behind a 1HZ and will be far easier for the conversion. Plus, although I stand to be corrected, all t cases for the r151 are center output, whereas the rear axle, even from a 75 is offset.

To answer your questions:
1. With an h55f I do believe you can use the stock drive shafts, but my memory on that is going back a while and I'm sure some one with more recent experience will chime in.
2. 75 in the rear will work, 75 can work in the front too. Seen it done here.
3. The 1hz doesn't need an ECU, that's what's so great about it
Hi @Vossie

Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!

I have found this post and will review in more detail - Engine Family Comparison: 1HZ, 1HZ-T, 1HD-T, 1HD-FT - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/engine-family-comparison-1hz-1hz-t-1hd-t-1hd-ft.1191630/

Lots more planning to do :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom