FJ45/80 4 Door Truck Build Guidance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for info on builds that have used an 80 chassis and built an FJ45/ 4 door truck on the chassis. Maybe used the Aqualu 4 door tub and a 45/70 series truck bed. Did you go with the widened FJ40 tub or the regular width tub and cowl?
My general idea is an 80 chassis full float with lockers, 4 door tub, and truck bed. 3” lift and 37’s, Full soft top fixed to a roll cage. Maybe a diesel swap, 12v 6bt or 4bt likely for simplicity reasons and less computers.
Open to ideas. Looking for path of least resistance.
If Toyota won’t give us one, I’ll build one.

C8049AA0-79FA-471B-A6E2-5D8DFDCEDCE3.jpeg

001F108D-1B03-4E52-85FB-733EDCC0F904.jpeg

Last edited:
Neither of those pics are what you are describing.

There is an Aussie group on FB that is specific for 45/80 swap. Lot's of info there.

Yes width of axles and chassis is an issue, 80-series axles are 63" WMS to WMS, 40/45-series are 55".That is 4" wider per side, that is a lot.

I think you would be better off using a 40/45-series chassis or even a 70-series chassis. FYI, 70-series axles are 56" WMS to WMS. You want it on coils, convert it to coils. I have done a front conversion, it is totally do-able using all Toyota parts. The rear is a bit trickier but still doable.

80-series have great suspension for on-road, alright for off-road. For a real off-road weapon though, the 80-series suspension lacks big time, geometry gets all out of whack when you flex it up. I am sure the haters will argue against that but I challenge them to go plug 80-series suspension into a link calculator first.

If you want a 4-door, Aqualu is the way to go but personally, I don't care a lot for the dash and floor pans. Its all just flat.

Forget the 4BT, its a skid steer engine. Extremely loud and rattle a ton. 6BT is tall and heavy. Much better off swapping in something like a Toyota 1HDFT in my opinion.

What you going to use it for? Sounds like a fun truck and fairly serious wheeler? If so, there are better ways to do it and won't cost much more than what you mention above. Either way, you are talking tens of thousands of dollars. You will hit $50k real fast and be far from done and that is if you do all the work yourself.

Last 80-series chassis swap I did took nearly 120hrs, that was just fab for body mounts, engine/trans mount and extending the frame.

If it was me, I would go 3-link front on coil springs or coil overs. I would go leaves in the rear, long ones at that like 63" Chevies. Done right, it will drive real nice on road, flex like a beast off-road and cost far less than what you have mentioned above.

Cheers

@SNLC great info. Do you have the name of the Ausi FB group?
I know the pictures aren’t accurate. They were for attention. I like the 80 frame and suspension, I’m very familiar with it. I really want a full size solid axle Hilux. I figured a Pre-fabbed widened 40 on a 80 series frame would be the path of least resistance. I want a full size Toyota truck with solid axles and I’ve had good luck with my previous 10 80 series, not so much a hard core wheeler.

Last edited:
@SNLC great info. Do you have the name of the Ausi FB group?
I know the pictures aren’t accurate. They were for attention. I like the 80 frame and suspension, I’m very familiar with it. I really want a full size solid axle Hilux. I figured a Pre-fabbed widened 40 on a 80 series frame would be the path of least resistance. I want a full size Toyota truck with solid axles and I’ve had good luck with my previous 10 80 series, not so much a hard core wheeler.

The group is just called 80 chassis 40 series owners. It’s a good one to follow and get info from.

It’s not a bad plan you have, just depends what you are after. It’s a deep rabbit hole though and will get expensive fast.

Cheers

@SNLC
Pre-widened 40 body

There are a few build threads on here of it being done, some extremely nice. I can’t recall the names of those threads right now though. Been awhile since I looked at any of those threads.

Cheers

Dream rigs... here is one of my favorite pics...
Screenshot_20200724-064418.png

My thoughts have been to get a rear ended 80 series & put a 4 door 40 or 45 body on it.
Only issue is the need to move the drivetrain back approx. 6" to get the front axle & fenders lined up which requires the removal of the gas tank. There has to be a way to avoid this, maybe one way around that is to put in a shorter 4 cyl. block like a R2.8 to get the radiator back to fit behind the 40 bezel.
Im rambling, sorry....

Does tires sticking out of the fenders matter to you?
Are you wanting to stick with the 112" 80 series wheelbase?
The Aqualu 4 door 40 tub has a 80 series wide option but not in a 4 door 45 option.
Screenshot_20200724-064604.png

You can put a 45 crew cab soft top on that 4 door Aqualu 40 body, the back of the top will land on the axle.
Screenshot_20200724-070213.png

here is a 4 door 45 hard top, but picture it as a soft top.
chop404.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-14-19-39-44.png

@Tank5 had one, but sold it to @2fpower, I believe. Not sure where the build is now.
There's another guy in San Francisco, I believe who built one, with a thread on here too (can't recall his username). I think he sold it though, but was a nice OD green rig.
There's many stretched 40 bodies on 80 chassis too on here, some in the Hardcore section, some on the 80 page, and some on the 40 page.

Search for my Vera thread.

One of the best ones I ever saw on this forum was done by a guy who goes by the user name, Wagooner or GaryWagoner, something like that but it was a no expense spared build by a guy who really knows how to build a sweet Cruiser.

Cheers

The group is just called 80 chassis 40 series owners. It’s a good one to follow and get info from.

It’s not a bad plan you have, just depends what you are after. It’s a deep rabbit hole though and will get expensive fast.

Cheers
Truer words have never been spoken. Building one now from a 2 door 45 rust bucket. Been going on 2 years now. It's getting there but not fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom