1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fj45, 1978

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by PHAEDRUS, Jan 28, 2004.

1. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Hey all,
    Just need to pick a few brains if I could and see what you all think. I just took a look at a 78 fj45. not sure if it is the lwb or swb. it had the removeable top and is a one owner. he imported it to canada and then brought it dwon to washington in the early 90s. as far as I can tell it is in pretty good shape. some rust on the floor board and the tailgate but original 2f block but a weber carb on it. (pretty sure the carb is not original) sorry for the novice post but 80s are my bag not really good at these. I am just wondering what the interest level is on these and if anyone is looking. I went through the search archive and found some posts aobut value on these and apears it varies wildly. The owner is wanting to get 10k out of it but as a body shop man I see a 5k repair bill to strip rust and make it look good again. then you have to go through the mechanical end of it.......... just looking for some info on this and if anyone is interested please drop me a line.
    Dave

2. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

$10,000 could be alittle high. but looking at ebay it would probably sell for that much or more. The weber carb is not stock.
    There just aren't very many of them in the states especially later years. Yes it is a LWB as I beleive the SWB were only made for a few years in the 60's 64-67?

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you have any pics of the rot? Or can you take any?

While it does have the novelty factor of being a non-USA, I would have a hard time paying 10K for anything that has some rot in it.

Good luck!

-Steve

4. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    78 is a long bed, top comes off(last year of fixed top 65-6 and only on short bed), should have a full floater in the back, drum brakes all around, 4 speed and 2f with no cat or emisions.

10k for a 45 that needs 5k in body work is WAY out of line IMOP. sounds like a 4-5k truck......maybe. There are some sweet 45's for sale in the 15k range, most are either full resto's or have been upgraded to disc and some other goodies.

canadian 45's prolly have frame rot as well, check where the body meets the bed(on frame) and the frame for delamination, also the rear spring hangers. Check the hard top corners for rot as well.

Now are you sure you didn't just look at a green 66 fj45 in Antacortes? stock with 3 speed........there is one for sale for 11k.....which from what I have seen of it is 3K++++ to much, it happens to be the twin to my fj45.

5. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

yeah pimp im sure,
    this was out at the skagit airport outside burlington. as far as the body estimate I was figuring time it woud take to remove the rust. all the peices except possibly the floor pan where it mounts to the back panel are easily saveable just time consuming. this one was tan and looked pretty good for former canadia truck. no major rot on the bed, hood and fenders were in grear shape. the major rust issue was on the back cap in the center below glass had about a 3" bubble there. not sure what you would find once you open it up.
    Poser. if you are REALLY interested I can set you up with some photos but its a bit of a drive for me and work is kind of hellish at the moment.
    Pimp I think I know of the one in annacortes you are talking about some of the rclc guys were talking about it earlier I guess he was planning on selling on e bay not sure. I was kind of hoping to pick this up myself for a project trail rig but it kind of seems like sacrilege to cut up a 45 when there are a lot more 40s around here.
    thanks all for the help and input and enjoy the afternoon and be glad you don't manage a body shop!@!
    Dave

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Was only suggesting the pics as a way to give you far more accurate advice. If you know what you are up against, then do not worry about it.

Good luck!

-Steve

7. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    I'm pretty sure I know the truck, was in Lynnwood a while back for sale

and yeah I think your right about the other one

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=1;threadid=10741;start=msg96517#msg96517 date=1075330972]
    yeah pimp im sure,
    this was out at the skagit airport outside burlington. as far as the body estimate I was figuring time it woud take to remove the rust. all the peices except possibly the floor pan where it mounts to the back panel are easily saveable just time consuming. this one was tan and looked pretty good for former canadia truck. no major rot on the bed, hood and fenders were in grear shape. the major rust issue was on the back cap in the center below glass had about a 3" bubble there. not sure what you would find once you open it up.
    Poser. if you are REALLY interested I can set you up with some photos but its a bit of a drive for me and work is kind of hellish at the moment.
    Pimp I think I know of the one in annacortes you are talking about some of the rclc guys were talking about it earlier I guess he was planning on selling on e bay not sure. I was kind of hoping to pick this up myself for a project trail rig but it kind of seems like sacrilege to cut up a 45 when there are a lot more 40s around here.
    thanks all for the help and input and enjoy the afternoon and be glad you don't manage a body shop!@!
    Dave
    [/quote]

8. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it. For me it is too steep at the moment to dive into. now if I could talk him into trading for my DD that would be sweet!
    Dave

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">