FJ43 Identification help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
I am currently stationed in the middle east and have the opportunity to potentially purchase a 1982 FJ43. Seller tells me it's a factory soft top and the roll bar is original. Can anyone confirm from this picture?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to inspect before buying?

Posted for help in the classifieds, apologies in advance for the redundant post.

43C6BEE8-59E9-448A-97C3-2E440F7F194E.jpeg

CA12C58B-096B-4D8A-B522-B8F420A683A2.jpeg

F0AD33AC-E3E4-4D48-B2C0-EE9BE8A8717F.jpeg

A369D341-B011-493C-8CDD-74552AB0A4FA.jpeg

Roll Bar. Absolutely not. I have never seen one with a drop down tail gate either. Usually rear doors with metal bottoms and soft uppers. If the Top is original, the plastic on sides will have Toyota marks like a piece of original glass.

Might be the photos, but it’s hard to see the b-pillar seam. That and how smooth the rear sides are make me think its been skim coated. That’s no big deal (mine is) unless it’s being presented as something else.

As stated above roll bar is not factory. The half doors, seats and the soft top are not factory; note that there are are no factory bows. Windshield angle is incorrect and quarter panels and fenders look like they’ve been worked on. It looks like black paint from frame touchup is on lower bib. I’d check frame for cracks / damage as sometimes after market roll bars get installed after a rolll over. Only one windshield wiper, no rear license plate bracket and cracked tail light leads me to believe it is quickie repaint for sale.

That said it may warrant closer inspection if the price is right.

Roll Bar. Absolutely not. I have never seen one with a drop down tail gate either. Usually rear doors with metal bottoms and soft uppers. If the Top is original, the plastic on sides will have Toyota marks like a piece of original glass.

Besides the missing bracket for the license plate the corners of the tailgate are not rounded like the 1/79+ would be. I would inspect that rear sill carefully.

I remember a 79 FJ40 FST from Saudi Arabia was for sale earlier this year. Took a little searching but found a picture of the tailgate.
2737D613-E4D6-4906-90BF-E1009A1DE282.jpeg

Non-factory seats as well.

Besides the missing bracket for the license plate the corners of the tailgate are not rounded like the 1/79+ would be. I would inspect that rear sill carefully.

I remember a 79 FJ40 FST from Saudi Arabia was for sale earlier this year. Took a little searching but found a picture of the tailgate.
View attachment 2503567
Great catch on the tailgate. I knew the ‘79+ tailgate and hinges were different part #s and the hinges would have to be different than older style to accommodate the narrower sill. Interesting hinges.

All good info, thanks guys. Still waiting on a shot of the data plate. Engine is a 2F and he said he swapped the tranny to a 5 speed from a 1993. What's a "good price"?

I'm sure Toyota never made 1/2 doors and that roll bar is certainly not factory original.

And, I don't think they did chrome bezels either.

Price is going to be based on the market you are in. Whatever that might sell for in the US, where most of us are, is pretty irrelevant. Here in the US, rust is a huge issue for these. And driving them around topless, without AC, is typically enjoyable at least seasonally.

I was in Muscat last year, late September, and can't imagine driving without A/C in daytime. Also aware that nothing rusts unless it's left in the sea. I saw a lot of Land Cruisers, most 60's, 70's and 80's, but a few 40's (and a lot of Patrols). And I have a hard time imagining demand over there is the same as here.

And, I don't think they did chrome bezels either.

I was in Muscat last year, late September, and can't imagine driving without A/C in daytime. Also aware that nothing rusts unless it's left in the sea. I saw a lot of Land Cruisers, most 60's, 70's and 80's, but a few 40's (and a lot of Patrols). And I have a hard time imagining demand over there is the same as here.

Middle East chrome was almost standard on the 40 series late seventies early eighties. Chrome bumpers and chrome mirror arm were very common. What is missing on this one is the factory fog lights those seem to be a standard on the 40 series.

While different markets if OP is in the service and plans to bring it back to the US that would play a part in what to pay. LHD and mid wheel base would help the value. But with so many Colombia mid wheel base 43s being imported condition is important. Personally would paid more for one out the Middle East verses South and Central America. Overall south of the border cruisers had a harder life and shoddy repairs over the years. Fresh paint on those scares me of what they are hiding. See more original paint (beige of course) from the Middle East. But seen rust on those too. Have an 82 FJ40 tub that I believe was used on the beach in Florida. Rust is in locations. Rust isn't as bad but in areas don't see from the rust belt in the US.

I am again asking for your help. Found another FJ43 here in Oman, this time a 1983 that's already been converted to disc brakes and a had a rear locker installed. 4 speed. Also have a video of a walk around I can send if anyone would be willing to look at for me.

Thanks!

F5E02ABA-E0D2-47FC-9235-0E6AEAEF6619.jpeg

AD1D6FF5-0696-45A2-AE09-47AB71F4CD80.jpeg

389BA1BE-EBBA-4FD9-9731-243D0F0D78DA.jpeg

1A10ED80-D505-4A84-B6D5-B129EC269499.jpeg

EADC6C42-E1B4-4D89-8611-3DEAF81A41F8.jpeg

View attachment 2503567
He did his own tailgate on this truck. FJ43's in the Middle East were all soft tops and no tailgates. All J4's in the Middle East were originally barn door. Tailgates are either a modification OR an import from another market.

All good info, thanks guys. Still waiting on a shot of the data plate. Engine is a 2F and he said he swapped the tranny to a 5 speed from a 1993. What's a "good price"?

For the original one you posted I'd not pay over AED15K or OMR1500. There's a lot of dodgy work done on that truck that is hidden... and there's a lot of work needed obviously. Even with a 5 speed conversion, that truck needs a lot of work.

I am again asking for your help. Found another FJ43 here in Oman, this time a 1983 that's already been converted to disc brakes and a had a rear locker installed. 4 speed. Also have a video of a walk around I can send if anyone would be willing to look at for me.

Thanks!

View attachment 2517971

View attachment 2517972

View attachment 2517973

View attachment 2517974

View attachment 2517975

This red one is a slightly better situation than the beige one. However, quite a few things to look into further before buying.

1) Get photos of the floors underneath the vinyl diamond plate style mats. You want to see the bare, painted floor. What's the condition of the metal?
2) The seats have been covered, not reupholstered. Those seats have original foam and original fabric under the black covers. They likely need completely redone and will be quite nasty under those covers.
3) Door cards aren't original nor are the window cranks. The door handle pulls on the interior looks mangled.
4) It's been repainted... likely a good amount of bondo (majoon in Arabic) hiding under the paint and hiding lots of dents.
5) Factory soft top metal uprights have been modified in the rear, that's not the original layout.

For the original one you posted I'd not pay over AED15K or OMR1500. There's a lot of dodgy work done on that truck that is hidden... and there's a lot of work needed obviously. Even with a 5 speed conversion, that truck needs a lot of work.

A year or so ago someone posted a 83 or 84 FJ40 LX for sale somewhere in the Middle East. It had a four speed which surprised me. Thought a late model LX would have had a five speed in the Middle East. The ratio of BJ42s to FJ40s with a five speed favors the BJ42 by a lot. Obviously diesel are like hen's teeth to find in the Middle East.

Looks like a extra cross bow behind the B pillar. Can't tell if it extends down to the tub. Over all layout in the back looks okay except over the opening looks to talk and missing the brackets for the door hinges. Looks like upper and lower dash pads are all missing as well. All things that could easily fixed. It hidden rust and Bondo that would scare me off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom