FJ43 frame from FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

Is anyone made FJ43 frame from FJ40?

Few ideas: FJ43 is much more interesting for collecting, has more space, more loading capacity, but still capable for off road. As well as a lot of funs start the full frame off restorations, it might be interesting to upgrade FJ40 (were produced 1000 times more) to FJ43.

IMG_9914.JPG

The dimensions:
FJ43 has longer wheelbase (2430mm vs 2285mm FJ40; +145mm) and full frame length (4038mm vs 3680 FJ40; +358mm).

IMG_9951.JPG

IMG_9919.JPG
IMG_9920.JPG

When I study the frames, it looks like FJ43 frame is the same as FJ40 frame plus extra 358 mm extension at the end. (The rear leaf springs pin location is the same, body mounts are the same).
As well as the FJ43 leaf springs are longer (1265mm vs 1070mm FJ40), it gives extra 145mm wheelbase. Rear connection of the leaf springs (shackle) is different. Also the rear tube crossmember (shock absorbers fix point) is welded 170mm back vs FJ40.

IMG_9944.JPG

So it looks like if we extend the rear part of frame by 358mm (not that difficult), move back the cross member by 170mm; weld a new position for the rear shackle - we will be able to upgrade the FJ40 frame to FJ43.

In order to finish our upgrade we also need:
Rear FJ43 1/2 body (difference to FJ40 price is not much)
FJ43 Rear propeller shaft
Long FJ43/45 Leaf springs
Plus FJ43 soft top

So as a result we can upgrade FJ40 to FJ43 within a reasonable budget compare to the standard restoration.

Am I right in my assumptions? Probably someone did it before?

Thanks

It has been on my wish list. Extending the hardtop would be the hardest part. Ambulance door windows turned sideways would be very close to the right size.

Frame wise a spring flip would have the axle in about the right location. 60 series springs might also help.

I think the hard top is no go for this project. It is too complicated.

IMG_9955.PNG

IMG_9956.PNG

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9959.PNG

Plus a hard top was only in Japan, the rest world was in soft top version.

Much easier is to make a soft top for such project and much more fun

Here we tend to get at least some rain 11.5 months of the year. I've not had my top off in several years. Once it gets hot enough that I decide to pull it off, it rains for a few days. So soft top wouldn't work for me. I know how to do the top modification... I might even go so far as to say it'd be easy... but I just don't have the time & energy to do it.

Their is a guy in the hard core section that did it, he even extended the hard top. Turned out great. Honestly it wouldn't be that hard, not sure why more people don't do it. I would start out with a ratted out fj40 though so you don't feel bad about cutting it up and to save initial cost. But if you are going to go that far, you could also go a little farther and make a 4 door 40 using a aqualu 3/4 tub.

Their is a guy in the hard core section that did it, he even extended the hard top. Turned out great. Honestly it wouldn't be that hard, not sure why more people don't do it. I would start out with a ratted out fj40 though so you don't feel bad about cutting it up and to save initial cost. But if you are going to go that far, you could also go a little farther and make a 4 door 40 using a aqualu 3/4 tub.

I was trying to find it. Do you have any info about this project?

A fiberglass hard top was an option in Europe, You could buy it in Germany (1980) for 4200 DM

Why pimp an old 40 leave them as is, just my to pence

I assume original hard top was available in Europe only for 40 and 45, but never for 43/46. Or am I wrong ?

Sounds like a great plan. I Have been considering the same thing with a BJ42 I have, would love the extra wheel base and room.
We can't get the 43 bodies here in Aus, so would have to extend the 40 tub. Maybe even go for a 100" WB.
Just need to finish the other projects.

Why pimp an old 40 leave them as is, just my to pence

Peter you have to understand not sure the North American market got any mid wheel base 4X series. I know America didn't. When the 55 series started (68 model) Toyota stopped all long wheel base 4X series. From 68 thru 83 all we got were was the FJ40. That included not getting any LX, BJ and HJ. No H41 or H55F transmissions and no full floating rear axle. One thing we did get was a front Disc brake axle earlier than a lot of other markets. While the standard FJ40 was all we got during the seventies we got a lot of them to where they certainly aren't rare. In the Southwest they survived better than many other areas of the county and the world. So when someone wants to convert one to something we didn't get I have no problem. If other markets wanted to do a exchange program our FJ40s for models we didn't get I'm sure there would be plenty of takers. I have eight FJ40s and would trade a couple to get some different models.

Sounds like a great plan. I Have been considering the same thing with a BJ42 I have, would love the extra wheel base and room.
We can't get the 43 bodies here in Aus, so would have to extend the 40 tub. Maybe even go for a 100" WB.
Just need to finish the other projects.

There are several companies that could sell body tubes around the world.

For example teseven.fr from France
IMG_0050.JPG

You can buy a full body

IMG_0051.JPG

Or just a 1/2 tube for welding

IMG_0052.JPG

This is just for an example. There are other producers from North or South Americas.

Again - I think it might be interesting idea to upgrade FJ40 body to FJ43.
It's not a hardcore corner, it might stay absolutely original! Welding is not visible. As you can see from the Teseven price list - you pay less than 500 usd for FJ43 body vs FJ40.
Plus about 2000 usd for soft top with the bows, plus 1000 usd for welding minus 500 usd to sell your FJ40 hard top (if the climate is not so bad). Plus FJ43 rear propeller shaft let's say 250 usd.
So if you are on early stage of restoration you can invest extra 3250 usd and got FJ43 vs FJ40.
This is a VERY theoretical guesstimation!!!
It's very interesting to see the real cases!!!

I hope someone will discover this opportunity to restore FJ40
IMG_5113.JPG

into fj43
IMG_5125.JPG

Relatively small investment compare to the whole restoration costs. Up to now it's only Photoshop :(

Everyone Knows MWB Cruisers are the coolest thing ever made. Just long enough to ride well but not long enough to get caught up everywhere they go . They have ageless lines of the iconic 40 Series yet the inner space to carry 4 people and still fit a fridge in behind the rear seat.

All the really really cool ones are BJ's not FJ's though :)
2018-12-09%2009_27_26.jpg

2018-12-24%2015_05_45.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom