FJ43 A mix match of parts on my foreign vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ 43L -KO, serial number FJ 43–68092. I have a 2F engine number 451572. Most of the parts that I have been putting on this all know have been for a 1977FJ 40, the parts for the FJ 40 1980 which is what I was told this was don’t fit or don’t match pre-existing parts. This vehicle runs great the only problem isThat once I start driving down the road and the engine heats up it stalls out on me. And when restarted continues to store until it cools down. I believe the only thing I have not replaced on this is the fuel pump and I think that may be my problem. I just wanna be sure that I put the correct fuel pump on. Any help out there from anyone familiar with these foreign rebuilt FJs?

I understand, but I meant rebuilt in Columbia. Using misc parts. There seems to be no reason to it. Some are interchangeable.

Well I can tell you that you will open a can a worms here. Colombian FJ43’s can be a buyers beware vehicle! There is a history of unscrupulous importers dumping 43’s on the market.
Like myself, there are a bunch of 43 owners on this forum.
Best thing is to use your mechanic skills and start by diagnosing the over heat issue. Is there coolant in the block? Do you need to flush the block? Parts are readily available for your 43 if you would need a water pump or radiator. All fuel pumps for the 2F are basically the same.

devo

Devi, it doesn’t matter a year on the pumps? The one on ours looks like the 1980 and is different than the 1977. Can you tell me what year minor is by the engine number? And what year the 43 is by the VIN. Sure would appreciate it.

I always use my model number on the following site.

You will want to select general countries spec as opposed to Europe or North America.

That should link to your truck.

I will grab the Toyota part number from the diagram and then google it. From your example you will find that your truck has the same distributor, I believe as the 1977 US truck which you confirmed. This gets you back to what it left the factory with. You can then check your parts source for the best part number. It is not necessarily cobbled together with the wrong parts, it just may be that the other market spec varied.

Also

This web site should give you year and month produced for your vehicle and also has a good cross reference for part numbers among various model years and specs.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you that you will open a can a worms here. Colombian FJ43’s can be a buyers beware vehicle! There is a history of unscrupulous importers dumping 43’s on the market.
Like myself, there are a bunch of 43 owners on this forum.
Best thing is to use your mechanic skills and start by diagnosing the over heat issue. Is there coolant in the block? Do you need to flush the block? Parts are readily available for your 43 if you would need a water pump or radiator. All fuel pumps for the 2F are basically the same.

devo

Fuel pumps had a major change 1/79 at least in the US market.

Think some pictures of things might help. Between 77 and 80 the body had some major changes. Just because it is titled as a 80 doesn't mean it really is a 80. As has already been noted not all SA sellers will make a fast buck anyway they can.

What TWatson said. The General Markets 40 series do have different parts from the US. My 1980 FJ43 from Colombia has some parts from a mid-1970s US FJ40 such as drum brakes x4. As it has no pollution crap and associated vacum hoses, the carb, dizzy, fan (no fan clutch), water pump, t-stat housing, air cleaner housing etc are different than US 40 series of the same year.

Here is a look at what fuel pumps are available for our 2F engines. Maybe one of these looks like what you have?
I run a Toyota OEM fuel pump and can‘t find the part #? My back/spare is from NAPA, P# B-0078-P

Here are a few comparisons of my 1981 FJ73 to a NA 1981. The drive train and axles are NA except that I have the H41 tranny which was not offered in NA. My starter and fuel pump are 1981-1985. I put in a NA OEM 1981 heater and replaced the water pump and changed to a clutch fan that was a direct fit from Toyota . My ignition system is dated for a 1981. So when I need a distributor cap and rotor I order a 1975! I threw out the points and went with Pertonix.

Anyway, this is just an example, and there are more, if your comparing to a NA spec FJ40. So as the Gurus have mentioned above any part you need is available. Another good place to look for General market parts is from Amayama.

Good luck,

devo

I have an FJ 43L -KO, serial number FJ 43–68092. I have a 2F engine number 451572. Most of the parts that I have been putting on this all know have been for a 1977FJ 40, the parts for the FJ 40 1980 which is what I was told this was don’t fit or don’t match pre-existing parts. This vehicle runs great the only problem isThat once I start driving down the road and the engine heats up it stalls out on me. And when restarted continues to store until it cools down. I believe the only thing I have not replaced on this is the fuel pump and I think that may be my problem. I just wanna be sure that I put the correct fuel pump on. Any help out there from anyone familiar with these foreign rebuilt FJs?

Can you Post a few good clear close up photos of both your carburetor Fuel lines ,

both of them if u have 2

just the single one if u have only 1

then nice photos of your current fuel pump installed right now

with this Simple , yet concrete information and TECH facts , the Correct Fuel pump

can be easily Recommended to you without any guess work or speculation what so

ever .

Photos = Facts

Facts = Answers

Answers = the correct solution and plan of attack forward ...

its that easy , ..

good luck .......

^^this^^

@Guildgun6

And maybe also some pics of your nice truck

Last edited:
Your engine is approx from 4/80 build date ... there is a cast date on the drivers side below the exhaust manifold toward rear on engine block

You vin is also 1980 fj43 and according to Toyo diy (sometimes it is wrong) says it’s a 4/80 as well

What Matt and Johnny said! We need pics! My 43 build date is May 1980 and as my VIN # is a little higher your build is likely April 1980. If you still have the original split rims they will have month & year stamped on them. We need lots of pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom