FJ43 (‘78) sitting in garage, won’t go into gear, Illinois (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Been a long story since I’ve been on here. Not the happiest story. Anyway, the 43 I‘ve had since about 2008 needs some love and ultimately, a new home. Until then…

Have started it fairly regularly, but not driven for a while. Now the 4 speed won’t go into any gear. Any suggestions or leads to threads on this subject? I didn’t find any.

Thanks,
Duke

Clutch master and / or slave is probably either low on fluid or has gotten an air bubble. Maybe try to bleed them. If that doesn't work, replace them along with the hose.

Clutch master and / or slave is probably either low on fluid or has gotten an air bubble. Maybe try to bleed them. If that doesn't work, replace them along with the hose.
Thanks — clutch pedal seemed to have decent feel. I’ll look into your suggestion.

Besides that, could it possibly have anything to do with transmission selection mechanism lubrication or gear lubrication?

Can you shift into gears when the engine isn't running? Can you put in a gear, push in the clutch and push/make it roll?

this is not going to help the problem, but just wondering where the Front Range of Midwestern Rockies IL is? I'm located just outside Scales Mound, the highest point in the Illinois Midwestern Rockies..............

X2 does it go into gear when the engine is off?
can you move the shifter stalk?

if it has been sitting a while, in your climate, the clutch disc can freeze to the flywheel
you say the pedal has some feel to it
you will need to get underneath and remove the bellhousing cover
have a helper depress the clutch pedal, engine off
see what is happening
if the throwout bearing is pushing in on the preasure plate and you see seperationon 1 side or the other of the clutch disc
the clutch disc should be free to spin independently of the flywheel/preasureplate
if not it may be "stuck" to either the flywheel or the preasure plate side
with the clutch pedal depressed, use a prybar or similar and get the other side free

Last edited:
this is not going to help the problem, but just wondering where the Front Range of Midwestern Rockies IL is? I'm located just outside Scales Mound, the highest point in the Illinois Midwestern Rockies..............
I’m several hours east of there, just before you’d fall in a deep swim, and definitely not at the highest point of anything!

Can you shift into gears when the engine isn't running? Can you put in a gear, push in the clutch and push/make it roll?
Thanks — Won’t go into gear motor running or off. I tried to roll it, without using much force, and it didn’t want to roll. I didn’t want to force anything so I didn’t do more than put my shoulder into it pretty hard. Bad idea to tow strap it and creep it forward, I’m guessing?

Who knows, maybe I have more than one issue.

?

X2 does it go into gear when the engine is off?
can you move the shifter stalk?

if it has been sitting a while, in your climate, the clutch disc can freeze to the flywheel
you say the pedal has some feel to it
you will need to get underneath and remove the bellhousing cover
have a helper depress the clutch pedal, engine off
see what is happening
if the throwout bearing is pushing in on the preasure plate and you see seperationon 1 side or the other of the clutch disc
the clutch disc should be free to spin independently of the flywheel/preasureplate
if not it may be "stuck" to either the flywheel or the preasure plate side
with the clutch pedal depressed, use a prybar or similar and get the other side free
Thank you — I can move the shifter all over, just not into any gear. Not while running, not with the engine off.

The clutch pedal has full movement and actually feels normal, if that means anything.

I have a vague memory of someone having an issue with the shifter engagement mechanism (directly under the shifter, where it interlocks linkages?) getting some light rust, but I have no idea yet if this is the issue, and I can’t find anything on that for all the looking I’ve done here.

?

Last edited:
Thanks - can’t get it into gear, running or not. Doesn’t seem to want to roll in what should be neutral, but I haven’t forced it. Wondering if there is more than one thing locking it in place, or if I should try to pull it with a strap for a couple feet. Makes me nervous tho.

Your transfercase shifter is the short lever to the right of your transmission shift cane! Check to make sure your transfercase is in 2h and not neutral! The shift pattern should be on your glovebox door!!!

Your transfercase shifter is the short lever to the right of your transmission shift cane! Check to make sure your transfercase is in 2h and not neutral! The shift pattern should be on your glovebox door!!!
Oh, sorry. Duh. Brain cramp. I didn’t actually process “transfer case” even though that’s exactly what you said. I just thought about shifter. I’ll check that, but I always left the transfer case in 2h. Honestly thinking I have more of a lack of use issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom