FJ40's tall body ASCO/AISIN hubs -- Drum/ Disc brakes?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978 Non-US Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. I am slowly bringing my truck to its original glory, as budget permits :) The former owner has put a pair of Hubs that work well but I don't like (photo w/ wheel). After looking for months I finally found a pair of the original hubs for the 78 FJ40's: tall body ASCO/AISIN hubs (photo).

Here is the issue: the vendor tells me that the hubs are for 1978 FJ40 with DISC brakes... mine is a 1978 FJ40 with DRUM brakes. I don't want to return the hubs, as they are gorgeous looking and so rare to find, but I am afraid they will not work with my FJ40 (because the vendor says they are for DISC brakes).

My FJ is being restored in Bolivia, and between tax and transport is going to cost me a fortune to send the hubs there... if they don't fit I am going to cry real tears of pain.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Return to vendor? Ship to Bolivia?
Thank you!

IMG-20181119-WA0006.jpg

20181120_202545.jpg

Be careful. Just because the dial says "ASCO" doesn't mean they are the tall body hubs.

Measure the height from the bottom of the base to the top of the dial, and count the splines that fit the end of the axle.

Then we can tell you if they are correct for your year.

Looks like 2 3/4 inches to me...
With fine spline. Drum brakes are coarse 6 spline .

Pull the hubs off your truck and compare
The splines.

hubs-warn-locking-10.jpg

The long-body ASCO hubs have 30 splines, the body (absent the dial) is 55mm vs 45mm for the standard size hub body. And measurement from the base to the top of the dial is 74mm, approx 2-7/8".

Your measurement of "6 1/2 inches" from the base to the flat surface of the dial really should read 69mm if measured accurately.
(Your tape measure is reading mm on that side of the scale)

So the hub in your photo appears to be a true long body ASCO with the 30 fine-splines. If the ends of your front axles are coarse-splined, the ASCOs you have will not fit. Warn (and others) make hubs that will fit the coarse 6-splines.

I second @allen_man on pulling the hubs on the rig. My 78HJ45 had drum brakes with 30 spline axles, so you may be set.

Drum brakes are coarse 6 spline .

This is not always true. In markets outside north america the late model 40 series got the 30 spline axles, larger knuckle stud pattern, larger spindle ... all while retaining the front drums.

This is not always true. In markets outside north america the late model 40 series got the 30 spline axles, larger knuckle stud pattern, larger spindle ... all while retaining the front drums.

True.....OP pull your hubs.

All of the later model non-US 4x series rigs with drum front brakes I have worked on had the fine spline birfields/hubs just like the US disc brake rigs of the same vintage.

Mark...

All of the later model non-US 4x series rigs with drum front brakes I have worked on had the fine spline birfields/hubs just like the US disc brake rigs of the same vintage.

Mark...
You give me hope :)
Getting pictures to see what it is... more to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom