FJ40s Sold in Costa Rica: Manufactured in Japan or Brazil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope I didn't put this query in the wrong place. If I did, my apologies. I know that FJ40s, or derivatives, were produced in Japan, Brazil and Venezuela. I'm just trying to find out what country manufactured FJ40s that were sold in Costa Rica? I'm usually pretty good at doing online research, but I've not been able to find out anything definitive. Hopefully, someone can answer for me.

Before 1964 they were all imported … in 65 they started importing CKD kits from toyota and assembled them with a few local sourced parts because of nationalism laws

From what I remember they were almost all parts from toyota exception of upholstery stuff

Before 1964 they were all imported … in 65 they started importing CKD kits from toyota and assembled them with a few local sourced parts because of nationalism laws

From what I remember they were almost all parts from toyota exception of upholstery stuff

If made from a kit wouldn't the VIN be different than those produced in Japan. Do not remember that being the case for Costa Rica But to be honest never paid attention to Costa Rica cruisers. Just don't remember it being brought up. Venezuela having the difference VIN sequence.

Most ckd will start with a 9 … such as FJ409xxxxx

But… essentially it was complete trucks then just assembled there so they could have had vin stamped frames sent over I guess … but… could have been local stamped as well … don’t know yet

@talegate maybe has a vin

FYI: any frame number that has a 91xxxxx number means that the truck was a CKD: complete knock-down kit. Erector set in a box for local manufacture.

By the 80’s several places including Costa Rica repealed those laws so How it was done since idk

They may still get the trucks in ckd because they were vested in the manufacturing company

I hope I didn't put this query in the wrong place. If I did, my apologies. I know that FJ40s, or derivatives, were produced in Japan, Brazil and Venezuela. I'm just trying to find out what country manufactured FJ40s that were sold in Costa Rica? I'm usually pretty good at doing online research, but I've not been able to find out anything definitive. Hopefully, someone can answer for me.
I have been under the impression that the South and Central American 40s were built in Venezuela.

I have been under the impression that the South and Central American 40s were built in Venezuela.

Same as others toyota started selling cruisers directly to venezuela ... started with 2 cruisers in 56'... this would "get their foot in the door"

Then Venezuela had their own CKD... they had their own laws and regulations for their automotive industry. Toyota had a huge footing in many countries in the 50's and 60's and was king of the CKD worldwide.

here is some stuff i found with a quick search at toyota global:
https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/data/automotive_business/sales/activity/latin_america/index.html#venezuela

1956FebruaryExports to Venezuela commenced with two Land Cruisers
1962AugustCKD export contract signed with Tocars
1963JanuaryES begins Land Cruiser assembly
1971SeptemberAssembly moved from ES to INDEMACA (terminated in August 1983)
1981NovemberTocars assembly plant commences operations (spun off as Serenca in February 1982)
1982SeptemberCaracas Representative Office opened
1987CKD production of Corolla vehicles commenced
1989NovemberToyota acquires equity stake in Tocars
1992SeptemberTocars changes name to Toyota de Venezuela Compania Anonima (TDV)
1994Corolla exported to ANCOM states (e.g., Colombia, Ecuador)
1996CKD assembly of Dyna vehicles commenced
1999Yaris and 4Runner introduced from Japan
2000Land Cruiser Prado introduced from Colombia
2001NovemberFirst Terios rolls off the line at Cumana plant's 20th anniversary celebration
2005JulyNew Hilux assembly commenced as part of Toyota's IMV project
2006Corolla imported from Brazil as Cumana plant shows insufficient production capacity

found this as well and a bit more about Venezuela here:
venezu.jpeg
67288541_2345206215694710_17140604592979968_n.jpg

Know later 40 series at least and 70 series had a Dana rear axle. Don't remember Colombian 40 series having a Dana rear axle. many import as a soft top or no top model with locally made hard top. Brazil had the locally made Bandeirante. That was their version of the 40 series.

Hi, The many cruisers we have been in Costa Rica all were from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom