FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 1975 FJ40 and love it! When she gets warm, she "struggles" to start back up. It almost sounds like there is no fuel, but it only does it when warm. I have a 1976 2F motor in it. If anyone knows what is causing this and a way to fix it, I would be so very appreciative.

image.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. I have a friend in NY that is coming back to WA and is going to do a few body adjustments. I hope that helps my problem. Thanks for the advice.

I just picked up an 82 40 and it's doing the same as yours. dropped it off to get a pre smog done to see where we're at. Little rough at idle and dies when warm when you come to a stop. Not as bad when cold, i'll report back.

Mine is running fine until I shut it off. It seems to take a bit of coercing to get her started. I was told maybe it is vapor lock? I am no mechanic on any scale, but I know a little. I look forward to finding out what is going on with yours.

Does your 40 have a carb fan? It sounds like the gas is boiling out of the carb once you shut it off.

Oh, nice Cruiser.

What carbie are you running on it.

2 Locations: Carb fans first were located in the left (drivers side) front of the engine bay, beside the radiator, pointing back at the carb. Later on, the fan was located on the left rear of the engine bay, near the fire wall, and connected to the side vents for a fresh air intake. you can find many photos showing these fans and their locations.

The reason I know about these hard starts after the 40 gets warm (actually HOT), I had the same problem. Thus, I just installed a carb fan in my '77. Mine didn't come with one, but purchased a later model carb fan and installed it. After fab'ing some brackets, my fan sits where the original washer bottle sat, near the drivers side fire wall. I am actually working thru the wiring on mine now.

Thank you GA Architect. I will have a look. I know my side vents are connected to nothing.

could also be vac leak. around the intake/exhaust or carb gaskets. old crusty hoses with pinholes/cracks.

What book would any of you recommend to get for working on my FJ. I bought the Chilton and returned it within an hour. Very very vague.

the engine, body/chassis, and emmisions toyota factory service manuals (FSM) for your year. available in PDF in a thread in the for sale section started by @Trollhole. search it.

knowing nothing about cars beforehand, the haynes was a good general primer. it now lives in the glovebox. havent opened it since first read.

What book would any of you recommend to get for working on my FJ. I bought the Chilton and returned it within an hour. Very very vague.

I know not everyone on here agrees, but besides the FSM's I use a haynes. lot's of how to stuff in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom