FJ40 with Chevy 350 3 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After driving this on the freeway for 15-20 minutes I take my foot off the gas pedal to slow / exit and the motor stalls. When I pull over to restart, it seems "flooded". After it sits for a bit, it'll restart and limp home. I can drive do grocery runs, kid pick ups with no issues. Any thoughts?

What fuel delivery system is on the engine? Carburated, mechanical fuel pump or electric, or fuel injected?

what 350 ? carb or injected ? what does the temp show when issue occurs ? sounds like a float level problem but not knowing whats on top of the 350 can't really help much without more info.

^^^^^
In addition does it have a hard shut-off and die, or sputter and cough and then die?

Sounds like the electric fuel pump (external?) is about to go bad. I would suggest a higher pressure fuel pump nd adding a fuel pressure regulator. My carb'd 350 runs much better with that set up, after I installed the rear aux tank.

what carb ? after it dies you said it seemed flooded ? fuel smell ? do you know what pressure the electric pump runs at ?

Sure are a lot of Edelbrock carbs for sale at swap meets, wonder why, just saying.

I’d replace the electric pump with a P4070 Carter pump. If possible a made in the USA one. My first lasted 20+ years. It probably could have been fixed, but it was so crusty I just put my spare on and called it a day,

I was given an almost new 1406 Edelbrock carb. It works beautifully straight out of the box... so it’s not the brand of carb.

I preferred my Quadrajet but it was worn and badly needed a rebuild. I’d been planning to rebuild it one day. However, I found a complete TPI fuel injection system with Advance Adapters custom harness for a screaming deal. So I’ve decided to fuel inject it instead.

I’d replace the electric pump with a P4070 Carter pump. If possible a made in the USA one. My first lasted 20+ years. It probably could have been fixed, but it was so crusty I just put my spare on and called it a day,

I was given an almost new 1406 Edelbrock carb. It works beautifully straight out of the box... so it’s not the brand of carb.

I preferred my Quadrajet but it was worn and badly needed a rebuild. I’d been planning to rebuild it one day. However, I found a complete TPI fuel injection system with Advance Adapters custom harness for a screaming deal. So I’ve decided to fuel inject it instead.
thanks for the tips!

Sure are a lot of Edelbrock carbs for sale at swap meets, wonder why, just saying.
Hey, probably because they've sold millions! I have always had great success with them, you just have to buy a new one now and then..... :hillbilly:

Interesting, is there any visual id to help verify a made in the USA vs. other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom