FJ40 with Air Bag Suspension (GSMTR 1999) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Found these old pics from the Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride back in 1999. The guy could raise and lower each corner independently with a handheld remote. Never saw anything like this since then. No idea where it is today.........

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Evidently it depends upon how you want to use your FJ40. Some air bags were tried on off road racing vehicles, they could not handle rapid cycles (compression and extension), as in faster bumpy road/off road race course terrain.

The upper link geometry, unless I'm missing something is completely terrible. A single poly mount to do all the work of laterally controlling the rear axle, that's nuts.

@Sputnik40 is ancient enough to have been there

I am feeling a bit like an artifact for having been there . I trailered my 40 there with my 427 tall deck powered GMC K20 riding on 35's. 5MPG all the way to Tenn and back . It was worth it 100%

I was there and remember the 40. Do not remember who's it was. Only saw it there the one time. BTW that is Rainy Kirk in the the background @Rainman here on mud. He may know who had it.

I was there and remember the 40. Do not remember who's it was. Only saw it there the one time. BTW that is Rainy Kirk in the the background @Rainman here on mud. He may know who had it.
LOL, more of us old folks on here...........nice:cheers: Maybe you and I even talked, I was wandering around the camping area looking for someone with a portable welder to try and fix a blown out automatic tranny pan. Figured I asked just about everyone. My brother blew a tranny on the way down, no, not that kind of tranny :eek:

I was wheeling my black 85 4runner at the time. I did have a premier power welder on it!

I wasn’t at that run but around the same era I did see a LJ80 running rear bags, a 20R, SM-420, Minitruck T-Case & Axles. On the ramp the axles were darn near 90 degrees to each other. The front tire had more sidewall on the ground than tread... as I remember it.

The owner from Vancouver was a machinist who designed and made all his own adapters. Later I heard he replaced the R20 with a diesel.

Found this article...

BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.
AE0C4F6A-A8E9-43CC-8AC0-D7AA34667A8A.jpeg
DFB9356A-D3FD-4EE2-853D-338287E2002C.jpeg
119F72CF-FDFF-41CD-A860-87FD1558C81A.jpeg
D9A21ED0-58A9-4800-A31B-482E2EA578D1.jpeg
562C398E-71DB-44F4-B137-1EA90763DE6A.jpeg

Edit: read through the article and it was likely a 22R and Suzuki axles when I saw it.

Last edited:

If you were there, I talked to you. If it's been more than a few years, I don't remember. HAhahaahaaaaa. I kind of remember the truck but it wasn't my style to I didn't spend much time investigating. I've got so much old Cruiser stuff I may even have the registration list somewhere but I may not be able to find it or figure out who it is by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom