Builds fj40 with 4 link fj80 axles project (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am about to start my project. I am swaping out axles on my 67 fj40 with 91 fj 80 axles and a 4 link with coils. I have been doing a lot of head scratching and asking a lot of questions to the folks down at a 4 wheel drive shop close to me. They do a lot of 4 link suspensions on the rock crawlers they build. So now I think I am about ready to tackle this thing. I still need to get my DOM tubing and all of my rod ends, springs and shocks, hell I still need everything but my axles. My planed start date actually is going to be April 14th. I that should give me enough time to get all of my parts together and get my brackets made. I did a search in the FAQ and found a guy that did the same thing I plan on doing. Looking at that really helped me with some of the things I had in mind. I will keep eveyone posted and share some pics if anyone is interested and I am always open to any suggestions if anyone has already been through this, Late!:D

Proffitts Cruisers has all the cool brackets you'll need for a 4 link. I just finished mine with fj60 axles, 4 link rear with 1/4 eliptical srings and front SOA using his brackets to out board the front springs. Good luck.

cool thanks for the info. I am trying to figure out how the suspension calculator works but I am not to savy on all of the terms. Anti squat etc etc etc

what are the ideal numbers to shoot for on the design summary when using the suspension calculator? anyone know?

Hardcore section? where is that?

cool thanks

Just what I am looking for. Hope you get some pics soon.

Good luck

Very nice. Subscribing. Let me know if it moves to the Hardcore Section. Several good threads there.

I am collecting parts to do my 4-link and got my brackets from Ruff Stuff. Have noticed also that Ballistic Fabrication has some good stuff too (just wish they'd have a sale on their forged joints like Dan is for those rod ends - you can't beat that price). Poly Performance. Several others have also been recommended that I can't recollect.

Local guy down here did the Proffitts 4-link rear kit. Works very very well.

Another friend did something similar about 8 years ago - except that he cut the entire rear frame section and suspension out of an FJ80 swapped to his FJ40 frame (cut near to the middle) and then built his own 3-link front end a few years later. The amount of flex that thing has is sik.

BJ40 with sahara 80 axels

i have a BJ 40 with 80 axels with custom coils And the original 5 link suspension for the rear and 3 link cofig for front as the sahara 80. I am planning to convert this to a 4 link system after removing the panhard rods.
The main reason for this is , restricted articulation. But i use this rig on the road and want it to be smooth as possible. Lot of my friends tell me the 4 link system is more suitable for rock crawlers and not for high speed stunts and the rest.
Any IDEAS PLEASE????:
cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom