Fj40 Window Handles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They May Already Be Something In The Forums But I Can't Find It So Would Someone Please Tell Me How To Remove The Window Handles On My 72 Fj40. I Have A Bad Regulator And Have A Spare In Another Door But Can't Get To It. Thanks For Any Help!!

I believe it's just a "C" clip holding the handle. I remember reading there is a special clip remover tool (inexpensive) you can buy to make the job easier, but you may be able to get away with a carefully-placed screwdriver.

Window regulator handle removal

On later model 40's (e.g. '79), if you push in the door panel around the window handle slightly, you should see a metal clip running around about 2/3 of the circumference of the regulator handle shaft. It is shaped somewhat like the Greek letter Ohmega.

Your clip should still have ends that are not flush with the circumference, i.e. pokes out. Take a rag (i.e. cloth, not paper), holding both ends, wedge the rag between the handle and door panel as if you were trying to buff the shaft.

Move the rag in such a way that you catch the clip end with the rag and then carefully ease the clip out so that you don't lose, bend, break it or have it cause permanent eye damage... Once removed, the splined or keyed regulator handle pulls out away from the door.

This is the standard manual window regulator clip removal trick used Worldwide on most older vehicles.

I don't own a '72 era '40 so you'll have to see how applicable this procedure is for your vehicle.

The rag method described by Sabretooth sounds like a good option. I've always used a combination of screwdrivers to push at the ends of the clips, or pull at the bottom of the 'U' shape.

I've got one that keeps coming loose. About every other day the handle falls off when I shut the door. I've bought a new retaining clip, so I know that is good. I've about decided that the clip is catching on a loose string in the upholstry covering the door, and just like the rag, is pulling it off when crank the handle. Today I plan on going at the loose strings to remove that possibility. SabreTooths rag idea makes me think that may be the problem, thanks Sabre.

Window regulators on "72" the hand crank is riveted to the regulator itself its one piece, so to remove it remove the four screws and make sure the glass is in the down position ;)
DSCF0331.jpg
....dusty

Just to add.
I have 74 doors.
Once the lever comes off the channel, put the door upside down. It easier to remove the handle assembly.
After you change the handle .
Install the handle assembly with the door upside down . push the window high enough and slide the lever into the side of the channel that is closer to where the handle assembly was bolted to the door.

Thanks Guys For All Your Help This Forum And Ih8mud Is The Best Just Got The Regulator Changed And It's Now Working Fine. Now I Can Enjoy Some Of That Sixty Mile An Hour Ac. Thanks Again Everone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom