FJ40 Winch Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,
I had a fj40 bumper custom made for a warn 8274. Now I’m questioning the investment in the 8274. What winch alternatives are there for this style of front mount? Again, mounting direct to a reinforced bumper without baseplate.

Hi Guys,
I had a fj40 bumper custom made for a warn 8274. Now I’m questioning the investment in the 8274. What winch alternatives are there for this style of front mount? Again, mounting direct to a reinforced bumper without baseplate.

Wby are you questioning the 8274? Price?

Be patient and hunt used. I found mine in nearly new condition and it was local, the guy had an old bronco and bought the winch before realizing that it was a forward mount which was going to be a challenge on his truck. He wanted $700 for it and was getting calls from buyers in the mountain states but didn't want to go to trouble of packing and shipping it. I offered him $500 on the spot and he took it.

I know a couple of guys that bought older ones much cheaper and rebuilt them. The 8274 is a darn good winch, I've yanked big trucks out without a struggle.

I know a couple of guys that bought older ones much cheaper and rebuilt them. The 8274 is a darn good winch, I've yanked big trucks out without a struggle.

I've done the same on both counts.

@OkieFJ40 , there are some good threads and info on rebuilding them here on Mud:

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-warn-8274-rebuild-part-1.197470/

Warn 8274 9.5 XP Motor upgrade - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/warn-8274-9-5-xp-motor-upgrade.1108372/

Wiring an 8274 + Albright - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wiring-an-8274-albright.485518/

be patient Warn still makes rebuild kits and they are easy to rebuild. I actually took mine all the way to pieces and had a bunch powder coated and it looks better then factory but I am kind of bias.

Old trucks needs old winches.
20200919_184631.jpg
20200904_090852.jpg

@OkieFJ40 , if you'd like something really cheap, I have a Belleview winch that I am selling for a friend that is currently out of the country. The Belleview is the original upright, spur-gear electric winch that Warn bought the whole company to get. Warn subsequently added an automatic brake, made it power out and in, and voila, the 8274 was born. The one I have was made after Warn bought Belleview, so it is labeled as "Warn Belleview Inc.". Like I said, the only difference is that it doesn't power out, and the brake is manually operated by a cable (this one doesn't have the cables that came with it). The only problem is, that it weighs a ton - it would probably have to be put on a pallet to ship and it will be expensive to ship. Do you ever make it down to north Texas? I live one county west of Fort Worth.

Photos of the winch:

IMG_1701[1].JPG

IMG_1700[1].JPG

I **think** (don't trust me on this) that many of the newer winches have the same size and spacing on the mounting bolts. You just have to mount it sideways, since those bolts go into the bottom of them. But they'll work like that. You should be able to download mounting instructions before you buy to verify.
But make sure it's not too wide to sit between the frame rails.

This is another stick with the 8274 vote. I recently found a used one for <$100 and am rebuilding it. When finished I'll have about $600 in it and it will better than new.

Only two winches belong on 40, an 8274 or OEM PTO, ok, there may be other alternatives.

Take a 5 inch channel and weld it to the gussets of from the old bumbers or buy them on ebay. Then bolt to the frame or just weld the 5” c channel to the frame i did that to my 74 FJ40 35 years ago. Then take a 1/4 plate with a slot for the cable. Install a roller fairlead ebay used and rebuild. Then weld the 1/4” plate to the bumper and the fairlead mounted just under the bumper. Those are pics of my 74 setup. On my 76 i used a roller fairlead instead. And bought a used winch on ebay and rebuilt it with new relays per the thread on here for rebuilding a winch. A lot cheaper doing like the 74 or my 76 and then you have money for other treats. Also on the 76 winch rebuild i upgraded the motor besides the relays. I do recommend a second battery setup. Not fun to winch kill the battery and then your stuck if the engine dies unless you have the crank for the engine and good wrists.

37BC6EDE-E71E-4E5D-8E30-CFC9BCBCE9E1.jpeg

5526684D-2809-444C-B46B-5687178166B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom