FJ40 Wheel and tire questions with spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I am kind of at a dilema. I am looking at wheels and tires for my fj40, but I have a set of 16x10 mt classic II's and 315/75/r16 that I had on my chevy before I did a straight axle conversion on it. My question is how bad would spacers be on my fj? Im just worried about strenth and durability of them. This rigs not going to be a daily driver and I am running about 360 hp out of my chevy. What do you guys think about it?

i have 1.5'' spacers all around, keep the lugs tight and they will be fine.

if you dont you could do like i did, i only have a 2F.

i broke 4 out of 6 lugs, really sucks!

stud.jpg

stud2.jpg

I've been using 1.5" spacers for quite some time now and have yet to have any problems. BTW - I run them behind 10" wide rims carrying 35x15.50 SXs. I also run SBC 350...

I am confused (as usual). Why do you need any spacers at all? My logic is that as long as the stud pattern is the same and backspacing similar, they should bolt right up. Oh yea, and the center portion is large enough to fit over the spindle/locking hub. I friend of mine put late model Tundra 16" wheels on his 79 FJ45 and had the centeres opened up at a machine shop. Spendy, but really cool.

hammerhead said:
I've been using 1.5" spacers for quite some time now and have yet to have any problems. BTW - I run them behind 10" wide rims carrying 35x15.50 SXs. I also run SBC 350...

what tourqe(sp) do you keep the spacers at? spacer to axle.

I'm running 1.5" spacers. Torqued em to 80'#, check after a few days, again after a couple weeks, then every fews months after that.

I know Woody is running spacers too and he wheels his rig hard.

The main reason I went with spacers was to fit 38.5x15 SX's on 15x8 beadlocks. They still rub a little on the inner wheel wells but not much.

dgangle said:
I am confused (as usual). Why do you need any spacers at all? My logic is that as long as the stud pattern is the same and backspacing similar, they should bolt right up.

The backspacing isn't similar. IFS Chevy 1/2 tons trucks have something like 4 - 4.25" backspacing. Even with proper backspacing, some times it's necessary to move the tires outward to decrease body-to-tire interference.

[slight highjack] Has anybody used a spacer to convert from 6x5.5 to 8x6.5? I haven't really investigated this at all, but it seems like a 2-3" spacer would be perfect to run HMMV double beadlocks; maybe I'm missing something? Used 16.5" tires are so cheap...

Not sure about the torque because I always use the same impact wrench I've been using for about twenty years for all my wheel installs. Have rechecked them many times... no probs.

I run the 1.5" spacers to gain fender well clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom