FJ40 weight with tub removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys. I have a rolling chassis that I need to move about 20 miles, engine and trans still there. I have a single axle trailer here, but have a car hauler at my other property where I am moving the rolling chassis. Can I get by with my single axle? I searched for the weight with the tub removed but came up empty. Thanks for any advice.

Hi guys. I have a rolling chassis that I need to move about 20 miles, engine and trans still there. I have a single axle trailer here, but have a car hauler at my other property where I am moving the rolling chassis. Can I get by with my single axle? I searched for the weight with the tub removed but came up empty. Thanks for any advice.

What’s the capacity on the single axle trailer?

FJ40 gross weight 3263 less 325 for tub, not including hard top, etc. I’d say your looking at 2500 lbs.

I’d say your good to go 20 miles if your strapped in and driving conservatively.

87ABFDF9-AA13-489C-AF12-D845D898C8C7.jpeg

a short trailer like that is going to pose the problem that almost all the weight (engine, tranny, etc) is going to be on the tongue of the trailer. usually you want the weight balanced slightly front of the axles. perhaps a rental trailer in slightly bigger config might be helpful? I used a u-haul 2 axle trailer with all tires on the trailer pulled behind an FJ100 and travelled 900 miles without a hitch last year. On other config you may want to consider is just the dolly trailer and put the front tires on the dolly and let the back ones roll. Those things are a snap (but they don't have a tag themselves).

Weight would be close but I’d be looking more into whether it would physically fit on a 5.5’x10’ trailer. You have bumpers, wheel and tire width, etc. at minimum you’d probably have to take the rear ramp/gate off. I’d just grab the car hauler at the other property.

I think you will be a little close on the small trailer... if the OP trailer is similar to example shown with 2k lbs load. Working backwards using close weights:
  • Drivetrain is probably close to 1000lbs (800lbs engine, 100lbs tranny, and 70lbs tcase)
  • Axles are 500 lbs. Springs are probably 40lbs each.
  • Frame is probably under 200 lbs. I can man handle one... but two people can easily shuffle it.
That is a rough 2k lbs without tires/wheels.
The other problem is it will be nose heavy.
2F engine ”service weight” is 604.2 lbs (274 kg). https://pic.useful.fi/PiLoeWiCY.jpg

My frame weights very close to 300 lbs (136 kg). But axles are not 500 lbs, I can carry both of them (not together), the front is heavier than rear, I would say about 300 lbs together.

Spring weight is 70 lbs/pair (32 kg).

But in other way, the tub itself (without anything mounted to it) is quite light, somewhere under 300 lbs.

Last edited:
I can and have man handled an FJ55 frame by myself... I can barely man handle an NV4500 at 200lbs.

I just put a rear FJ55 spring on the scale and came up with 47 pounds. I'm not sure that 3" of leaf spring is going to be 10lbs.
The frame weight of mine is measured after hot galvanizing, I don’t know how much it add it.

The spring weight is measured together when I shipped them (rear springs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom