Fj40 VS. Merceds 280GE G-wagen

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

I knwo this does not have to do with cruiser but does anyone have an experience with the older mercedes G-wagen's. I've read alot about them and they definately are beastly 4x4's but is it worth it to spend 10-20k for one with 100k and totally stock. Are they hard to work on?

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Lets see-
    If you have money to blow and want to be unique then maybe....
    If you want something to wheel that drives better than a 40 on the road then you need an 80 with factory lockers. You'd be wasting time and money on a G-wagen, it would make finding parts for a 40 look easy. Not a viable solution for anything other than burning money IMHO.

3. axlechassis

axlechassis

I had an older 230 g-wagon for a short time. Nice ride on rough roads with that coil spring suspension, gutless with the 4 cyl. The 280 engine can be an expensive pain in the arse in the cars probably no different in the g-wag. I would want the 3.0 liter turbo diesel. the systems are alot more complicated and less reliable than an FJ40. The germans are famous for rube goldberg setups. I'd say the g-wag would be a little harder to work on than a 40. Toyota's seem to have their little quirks too though. The g-wag is actually built in austria for mercedes. For 20K you can build up a 40 that would be alot nicer and tougher than a rusty wore out 100k g-wagon. ::)
    Check out the g-waggers forum on the pirate site

4. axlechassis

axlechassis

5. denis

denis (O) toyota nut (O) SILVER Star

some ppl claim that g-wagens aren't as strong as stock cruisers, and I tend to believe that. (no 1st hand experience though). expensive parts are a fact nevertheless, and I don't think the sophisticated suspension is really worth the whole trouble you'd put yourself in...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.