Fj40 vs BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Don’t exactly know where to post this, so sorry for any inconvenience

I’ve owned my 40th anniversary 80 for seven years now and it’s been the best veHuxley I’ve ever owned period, mint I’m itching for something different. I just sold my all original 74 fj40 and own a 78 and a 77 40 that are in pieces. The 78 came with an aqualu tub. I have brand new ome 2.5” lift and 33x10.50x 15’s on the chassis. My 80 is on 35’s fully armored storage box in rear etc etc… my idea was to sell the 80 and make the fj40 my DD. My 74 fj40 on 31’s was all original with only 6200 miles and had the original Mitsubishi springs and new shocks . I didn’t think it was that bad of a ride! I’m in the middle of building the 78 and now got the itch to get a bj73 with a 3b…. My wife said I can grab it but have to let one of the other two go… the 80 has been my DD for 7 years. I know the 80 is 100x’s more comfortable then either fj or bj, but I’m just kinda bored with it. So I’m trying to get an idea if a bj73 is really worth it or should I just build out the fj40.. what I like about the bj is a/c and diesel. I love the 3b and a buddy has a bj40 that I drove and love that motor. And as much as my wife loves driving in the 40 with the top off, she gets tired and sick in an hour of being in it. Oh one more thing; I do tow a military trailer once a month to get gardening supplies, loads of stone etc.. would that be doable in either fj40 or bj73? All my friends think I’m nuts and maybe I am but I’ve got the itch….

Don’t exactly know where to post this, so sorry for any inconvenience

I’ve owned my 40th anniversary 80 for seven years now and it’s been the best veHuxley I’ve ever owned period, mint I’m itching for something different. I just sold my all original 74 fj40 and own a 78 and a 77 40 that are in pieces. The 78 came with an aqualu tub. I have brand new ome 2.5” lift and 33x10.50x 15’s on the chassis. My 80 is on 35’s fully armored storage box in rear etc etc… my idea was to sell the 80 and make the fj40 my DD. My 74 fj40 on 31’s was all original with only 6200 miles and had the original Mitsubishi springs and new shocks . I didn’t think it was that bad of a ride! I’m in the middle of building the 78 and now got the itch to get a bj73 with a 3b…. My wife said I can grab it but have to let one of the other two go… the 80 has been my DD for 7 years. I know the 80 is 100x’s more comfortable then either fj or bj, but I’m just kinda bored with it. So I’m trying to get an idea if a bj73 is really worth it or should I just build out the fj40.. what I like about the bj is a/c and diesel. I love the 3b and a buddy has a bj40 that I drove and love that motor. And as much as my wife loves driving in the 40 with the top off, she gets tired and sick in an hour of being in it. Oh one more thing; I do tow a military trailer once a month to get gardening supplies, loads of stone etc.. would that be doable in either fj40 or bj73? All my friends think I’m nuts and maybe I am but I’ve got the itch….
Unless you’re just a giant fan of the 3B, I’d shift my focus to a HZJ73 if you’re seriously considering a 70 Series.

Unless you’re just a giant fan of the 3B, I’d shift my focus to a HZJ73 if you’re seriously considering a 70 Series.
That big of difference? I am a fan of the 3b. I love the rugged simplicity. Another factor is that someone I know asked me if I was interested in buying his… I was actually looking at an old Mercedes 300gd when he asked me if I was interested in his bj73. He didn’t tell me a price yet and I don’t know what they are worth but it got my gears moving away from the old gwagen. And back on the maybe just stick with the fj40 and forget all this nonsense. Either way I think I’ll be selling the 80 and was wondering if a 40 would even be doable as a DD or sell both and just get a 70 series.

That big of difference? I am a fan of the 3b. I love the rugged simplicity. Another factor is that someone I know asked me if I was interested in buying his… I was actually looking at an old Mercedes 300gd when he asked me if I was interested in his bj73. He didn’t tell me a price yet and I don’t know what they are worth but it got my gears moving away from the old gwagen. And back on the maybe just stick with the fj40 and forget all this nonsense. Either way I think I’ll be selling the 80 and was wondering if a 40 would even be doable as a DD or sell both and just get a 70 series.
I no longer own a 3B powered Cruiser but I would assume parts availability would be an issue going forward. That’s not the case with the 1HZ.

Military trailer doesn't really say much. 1/4 ton trailer sure. 3/4 ton trailer maybe for short trips not heavily loaded. 1 1/2 ton would be very limited even with an 80 series.

I’ve owned a couple 40s and currently own a BJ74. The BJ73/BJ74 can ride much better and quieter than a 40 series. My BJ74 rides really nice and quiet for an old Land Cruiser.

I think of the Bj74/73 as the “new” FJ40. Still tractor enough, built like crazy but with great upgrades 5spd, diesel, lockers quieter better HVAC. You can still pull the top and enjoy the summer.

That said the 3B is slow…my BJ74 is a factory turbo diesel and I wouldn’t want it any slower than that lol. People turbo the 3B with OK luck. Some are Ok, some blow up. Low boost is the key.

Parts are getting harder to find. IMO, I’d run the 3B til it blows, then look at swapping something different in.

I have a soft top on mine as well as the FRP top for winter. I love it. I understand the top off the 40 can wear you out quickly. It really depends on if you want to venture into the 70 series world or not. Owning something that was never in the US can be challenging at times, but I’m able to get almost everything I need within a few days to a week from vendors here and internet sites. Oil, filters, tcase rebuild, tranny, belts, axles knuckles almost all share/cross with US spec parts.

You really are just having to source some engine and body stuff. A few vendors have you covered greatly with this. Good news is the 70 series is from 84 and still going across a crap ton of models. Outside of some specific parts you can find them.

I love my BJ74. Has been Probabaly my favorite cruiser and I’ve owned just about every series minus the 200 and 20, 45lv wagon.

01F88F7E-DC11-4BD9-B79D-20D750A9744F.jpeg

B and 3B parts are so hard to find compared to HZ parts. It’s just an older engine, and parts are getting rarer and harder to find. They are still making the HZ engine, and parts are more common. HZ is better than 3B, and it is still super reliable, and it is still a mechanical diesel. I have a B engine and it is a nightmare to get parts for, and I would gladly have an HZ engine rather than a B any day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom