FJ40 vacuum advance is DOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents - I have a 9/76 FJ 40 that is all original and in very good condition.

It was running great in recent times however the vacuum advance on the distributor seems to be out now (zero movement when sucking and blowing on air tube and air just pulls through it freely both directions). The engine symptom is stuttering at all power ranges when applying gas (under even the slightest load).

That being said I was provided a 60 distributor, dented side panel, and 60 electronic ignition by the PO when I purchased the vehicle.

I have 3 questions:
1.) Do you recommend doing the swap or find a replacement points distributor (and which is best)?
2.) Do I need to have the 60 distributor re-curved prior to installation (and if so who does this)?
3.) Anyone have a photo of the wiring conversion from the original FJ40 to the new FJ60 electronic ignition? As you can see from the photo I have 2 green plugs and a black/yellow wire and a white/black wire from the original harness. From the new ignitor box you can see I have two green plugs.

kind regards,
Ben

IMG_5451.JPG

Last edited:
I'm running a gifted FJ60 (And dented sidecover) in my 1974 FJ55 with a '76 block and recommend the swap. Had been running a ' 69 dizzy with pertronix.
Jim C. Does the recurve, did not have mine recurve. It does well enough for me.

I can set you up with a brand new NipponDenso vacuum advancer with almost the same vacuum advance curve as the '77 advancer. It takes about 5 minutes to install. If the advancer in your FJ60 is bad I also have a modified version of the same advancer that fits the FJ60 distributor. It's a single diaphragm advancer, which is OK because your FJ40 doesn't have high altitude compensation, so no need for the outer diaphragm/port. Even if your FJ60 advancer is good, you can swap in the one I'm selling and sell yours to someone with an FJ60 that has high altitude compensation. Send me a PM if you're interested in more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom