FJ40 Upper Wiper Link Wire Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey.

Quick question. The wire housing around the link mechanism that connects the 2 wipers has started to fray and actually bend outside its housing at one end. I've seen a few wipers online that don't have this wire housing. I was just considering removing the housing instead of trying to bend the frayed end back in - thinking it would probably just happen again.

Any thoughts? Is that housing necessary?

The housing surrounds a cable. The cable is pushed and pulled to activate the "slave" wiper. Without the housing, the cable will be unable to push the slave wiper.

Older FJ40 models had separate motors for each wiper. Likely not to be an option for your truck.

The housing surrounds a cable. The cable is pushed and pulled to activate the "slave" wiper. Without the housing, the cable will be unable to push the slave wiper.

Older FJ40 models had separate motors for each wiper. Likely not to be an option for your truck.
Ok! Thanks for your help.

I think I've got an alternative solution...

Thanks.

Mine is doing the same. Post up what your solution is. I was thinking about cutting the cracked wrap off and using heat shrink to re-wrap the wire sheathing.

Look at motorcycle clutch cables. You’d just need the sheath. Like off a Harley.

So, this is what I ended up doing. To be honest, I wasn't completely sure it was going to work so I don't have any pictures of the process. But I will be doing it again when I have more time. It's my daily driver and need the wipers to be working ASAP so kinda just quick and dirty.

This is what it looked like before, I pulled off some of the ripped rubber covering already:

IMG_3329.jpeg

What I did, for now, was got the cable and wire cover back to the position it needed to be. It seemed to work regardless of the excess wires so I trimmed the wild wires off so it was flush. I realized the cover was basically just keeping the cable straight. The force of the cable is what pushes on the wire housing. Once the wires were flush and where it needed to be, I got some gaff tape and ran a few strips along the length of the housing. It occurred to me that I just needed to keep the housing from being pushed out. So I ran a few strips lengthwise and then tightly wrapped some strips around the housing. And then a couple more lengthwise just for "aesthetics":

IMG_3330.jpeg

I added a couple zip ties around to even further strengthen the adhesive and prevent the housing from sliding off. Seems to work great..... for right now.

Mine is doing the same. Post up what your solution is. I was thinking about cutting the cracked wrap off and using heat shrink to re-wrap the wire sheathing.
Do you have a picture of yours? Now after looking at mine, if the wiring is coming out, you'll need something stronger than shrink wrap. But if it's working fine and smoothly and the rubber housing is just cracked, heat shrink wrapping is probably perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom