FJ40 upgrade (1 Viewer)

Hi,

New to the FJ40 scene.

Currently working in Yemen where I have picked up a 1979, rest of the world spec FJ40. This means free float rear axle, 3 speed, no power steering, drums all around and and f2 engine

The vehicle is in good shape, but I would like to made the following changes

1. Power steering
2. Disk front brakes
3. fit an auto or 5 speed box

Being in Yemen - replacement parts are limited to those sourced from other Toyotas

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Cheers

Chris

Do a search for FJ60 power steering.
Swap the knuckles out with FJ60 disks and calipers.
Take 5spd from FJ/BJ/HJwherever you find one) and drop it in!

Welcome!! Take a look at the top of the page and you will see a link that says "Tech Link" give that a try and if you still have some questions there are some guys on here that can for sure give you some answers

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."

Hi All:

Welcome to Mud! (I'll avoid the official salute!) :rolleyes:

Like has been mentioned, a FJ60 wagon would be a good donor vehicle for your truck. Chances are it will have a disc brake front axle, power steering, and the H55F five-speed transmission.

Do some searches here on MUD regarding 60 Series disc brake swaps, 60 Series power steering swaps, and swapping a H55F into a FJ40.

Good luck!

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

New to the FJ40 scene.

Currently working in Yemen where I have picked up a 1979, rest of the world spec FJ40. This means free float rear axle, 3 speed, no power steering, drums all around and and f2 engine

The vehicle is in good shape, but I would like to made the following changes

1. Power steering
2. Disk front brakes
3. fit an auto or 5 speed box

Being in Yemen - replacement parts are limited to those sourced from other Toyotas

Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for all of the advice - will keep you posted

Some pics attached
DSC00082s.JPG
DSC00083s.JPG
DSC00084s.JPG

That looks like a nice one to get started with!!! What ever you do.... do not put any fat girls in the back I dont think your tires have clearance for them!! Are you planning for a lift? The reason I ask is there are a few different methods and we can point you towards a couple good threads to cover whatever you decide

Last edited:

Hi Guys

Update - on work so far

The H55F gear box is in, as are the front brake and the powersteering. There is still a little play to work out in both the gear box and the steering, but it is a vast impovement on the original

The above work with a set of manual locking hubs and a recon' steering colum cost $2300

Now off to fabrication shop for a roll bar, front and rear bumper - the original spare wheel rack will be mounted to the rear bumper, the larger rear lights for a 70 series pick up will also be mounted in the bumper

After that it will head of the the bodyshop - over the month they will strip it down to metal, fix the 5 rust spots, weld in a replacement rear floor and spray it - quote i for $1000, but will probably be near $1300 when its all done with new seals etc

Wagon cost $4000, which is a little high for here

Yes - new tyres are available $45 each

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom