fj40 uncommon gearshift pattern (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

New member here.
I just got a 40 series that has gearshift pattern as follows:

reverse_h.jpg

Previous owner says it's been modified from F engine (3-speed tranny) to B engine (4-speed tranny). However, I just learned that the shift pattern is not as a standard 40 series. Any ideas why?

Inputs from experts here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

That'd be correct for a right hand drive truck. And, it would drive me insane.

Yes, according to the owner the engine/tranny was japan surplus (therefore could be RHD indeed).

The engine I'm pretty sure is original Toyota B. The tranny, I may have to double check...

Welcome! :flipoff2:

The only difference between the F and B "series transmissions" would be the input shaft. The rest of it is the same. Like others have said, that could be a RHD shift pattern (although, I've got a 1991 RHD tranny in my faux-lux, and it's shift pattern is the same as the LHD version, but with the gearshift/T-case sticks bent to be on opposite sides of one another)

Easy fix would be to find a used H42 and swap it in. Harder fix would be to see what is actually different between the LHD and RHD units, and swap just those out (I am thinking it might be as easy as swapping the top covers).

Take the time to post some pictures and stuff about your truck. I like pictures. Especially with Land Cruisers. ESPECIALLY since you just noted that it has a B engine. It's a LHD BJ-40 then? OR an FJ-40 that has had a B swapped into it?

Dan

Welcome! :flipoff2:

The only difference between the F and B "series transmissions" would be the input shaft. The rest of it is the same. Like others have said, that could be a RHD shift pattern (although, I've got a 1991 RHD tranny in my faux-lux, and it's shift pattern is the same as the LHD version, but with the gearshift/T-case sticks bent to be on opposite sides of one another)

Easy fix would be to find a used H42 and swap it in. Harder fix would be to see what is actually different between the LHD and RHD units, and swap just those out (I am thinking it might be as easy as swapping the top covers).

Take the time to post some pictures and stuff about your truck. I like pictures. Especially with Land Cruisers. ESPECIALLY since you just noted that it has a B engine. It's a LHD BJ-40 then? OR an FJ-40 that has had a B swapped into it?

Dan

Thanks for the welcome :D

Yes, I also have a friend in Australia who owns an orig RHD BJ40 and (like yours) apparently shift pattern is no different than LHD. Now it gets really confusing. :bang:

By the way, my cruiser is a LHD FJ40 that later on had a B engine/tranny (presumably RHD?) swapped in it.

Btw, will post pics soon.

Last edited:
Yeah I've never seen a pattern like that before, and I live in Aus.

Seems weird to me!

I'll echo what others are saying but every RHD drive truck I've driven from 40 series to 80 series all had the same shift pattern as they're LHD counterparts. Maybe try posting this in the Diesel section as there is more of an international audience there.

Last edited:
sounds like a good idea. will try get more info on the diesel section then. thanks for all the inputs so far!

still hoping that i have an original toyota transmission mounted with the engine. otherwise, i'd be gutted :-(

Last edited:
Pull the Tranny tunnel cover and have a look, see if there's anything to identify it.

I picked up one of those a few years ago from a fellow mud member who was giving it away. It had a different top cover than the standard Toyota 4 speed, and it had the really low 1st gear. I passed it on to someone looking for the low gearing for their 40. They ran it with no problems behind an F motor. I believe that truck ended up in Oregon, and was purchased by someone on this board.

I picked up one of those a few years ago from a fellow mud member who was giving it away. It had a different top cover than the standard Toyota 4 speed, and it had the really low 1st gear. I passed it on to someone looking for the low gearing for their 40. They ran it with no problems behind an F motor. I believe that truck ended up in Oregon, and was purchased by someone on this board.

Hi BB,

It is a Toyota tranny then?

Thanks,
Audionaut

Last edited:
That'd be correct for a right hand drive truck. And, it would drive me insane.

It would drive me insane as well. Most RHD are the same as a standard box, the position of reverse can change be with 6 speed boxes is nearly always on the left.

I have drive a car with a reversed shift gate pattern but that was because the gearbox had been move from the front to the back for a mid engine configuration, was easy to make a mistake with that box..horrible:)

Since the F/2F engines were widely used in industrial applications, I wonder if the tranny came out of a forklift or something like that originally?

My guess is that the engine and box has come out of a Dyna or Coaster bus, which would have the gear stick on a linkage that would mirror image the shift pattern at the stick.

I have one of those too Brian. My first thot was the same as yours. Sine80 and greenfox both had their hands on that 'other' one. Yes it is definitely a reverse shift pattern and yes it is definitely Toyota. 4.99 1st gear with a 10 spline [3 speed t-case] output shaft.

I figure I will set mine up with a Fairey overdrive one day [or year!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom