FJ40 Turn Signal Modifications? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched a bit, and haven't seen a LOT.. All I've seen is the turn signal on the bib mod (TreerootCO) which I like, I'm just curious if anyone has done anything else..

I like the idea of clean fenders with no lights, but also don't want to diminish the visibility of the turn signals by having them low on the bib (especially with a winch).

Has anyone done anything with a smaller light on the fender? Lower profile? Flush mount?

Thanks!

Nope!

You can get flush mount turn signals used on BJ70's.

abd2f571.jpg

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Something I always liked about the 70 series lights on an fj40. They just look like they belong there. Seems to be a very popular way to go in South America based on all the pictures from down there I have seen.

Gulfsurfing - Did you have to modify anything or did they drop right in? Do you have any pics of them in your rig? I like the original earlier year blinkers but if I had to go any other way those would be it.

look at my build thread. I have something similar to gulfsurfing, just s***tier quality but it will give you a good idea of the look.

Gulfsurfing - Did you have to modify anything or did they drop right in? Do you have any pics of them in your rig? I like the original earlier year blinkers but if I had to go any other way those would be it.
There is a whole thread on these.. Too lazy to link to it at 2AM, but if you do a title only search for "turn signal" it comes up on the first page.

i have seen VW bug and super beatle turn signals mounted on the fenders that didn't look to bad .
they shouldn't get smashed up
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I had a 69 Bug that someone had installed recessed turn signals on the fenders. It was pretty slick.

So I'm thinking I would like to do something lower profile or flat on the fender. I do like the small round light mod on the bib, but without the right bib you have to cut holes and get a little tricky. I have so many things I need to do to my 40 that I don't want THIS to be too over the top. Then I can use the existing holes and not modify the wiring either.

Me likey ALOT!!! My own personal concern is other drivers not being able to see them or my rig at night. Then crashing into me and me being illegal not being covered by my insurance. I will be in the same boat s the OP and be needing some turn signals, don't like the stock ones. FJ70 looks like a good compromise between sleek and functional plus legal.

2x on the old bug turn signals. I had a set on my first '40 back in the day. One screw, one bulb.

I got a set of orange lensed oem lights to replace my markers on my early bib, plan to use those as my primary signale. Also waiting on a set of small orange LED "bolt" lights that are gonna go beside the hood latches on the apron. Little tiny things about 3/4" dia. but theyre bright as hell.

D

Here is what I just installed. Not quite as bright as the stockers. The lights I used can fit on the side skirts also allowing for front and side view (marker and turn).

Moved the lights. I like this better. No exposed wiring in the wheel well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom