FJ40 Transmission Tunnel Cover Repair - Welding, Painting, Body Work expert opinions welcome. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
These 1975 - 1978 transmission tunnel covers are very hard to find in perfect condition. Just finished blasting and ready for the next step. I’m not a welder but think I may be able to use solder to fill the pin holes as highlighted then sand? The pitting on the surface is rough and will need filler. Can anyone recommend a good filler and primer to use before finish coat?

03624748-A878-4830-A213-8B0EA0BEE443.jpeg

C81DC205-AFE2-410C-8247-6180B17BFC17.jpeg

F76E076C-7F9A-4174-B4E3-A39E4242A45C.jpeg

There is such thing as a filling primer. Multiple priming and sanding will ultimately render a really smooth finish. IIAC, the best body filler is lead solder, since you were able to prepare both sides.

There is such thing as a filling primer. Multiple priming and sanding will ultimately render a really smooth finish. IIAC, the best body filler is lead solder, since you were able to prepare both sides.
Thanks. Had no idea this existed. After a few online video tutorials, it looks like Eastward has a basic body solder kit albeit backordered until Jan. This is harder than plastic fillers and a permanent heat resistant solution.

Your biggest problem is the edge. It might be best to have a patch put in place in those portions. Having them welded in place, even having to pay someone else to do it, would be best. Filler on the pitted areas should hold fine as long as all rust is neutralized.

Your biggest problem is the edge. It might be best to have a patch put in place in those portions. Having them welded in place, even having to pay someone else to do it, would be best. Filler on the pitted areas should hold fine as long as all rust is neutralized.
The jagged edge is on the passenger side of the hump near fuel tank. I brought it to a welder who would cut the whole area out (section where there are holes) and was 4 months out for new work. I thought I would file the rough edge and then fill the pin holes with solder, file, sand epoxy prime and paint it.

I like this stuff and have used it to fill holes like you're considering solder for. I've used it to repair pin holes in gas tank, bottom of doors, transmission hump, et al. Thing is last time I bought it around ten years ago it was $20 and now it's $40! It mixes to a stiff putty/paste that you can apply with your fingers and sands easily once hardened.

epoxy-putty-3x_1200x.jpg

Thanks for all suggestions. I found a welder that had an opening to fix some of the holes and the jagged edge. I also chose “USC All Metal” filler to fill some of the pitted areas prior to priming and painting. Will post pictures of the process and end result.

Ok, @2old40, I went ahead and got this patched and welded to make this transmission cover last. Images below.
BD06211D-0F03-432E-B3C5-0D0CE3A569B6.jpeg

058E2C5B-3B11-4D0E-B6B4-30911EABF78A.jpeg

6D9F587C-92D6-4683-879B-523D097D8CEF.jpeg

3D773428-41BD-4AF0-8570-DF960362D8D2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom