fj40 transfer case patterns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, new to the forum. I have a 71 fj 40, chevy small block, Toy 4 speed tranny with, alledgedly, the 3 speed t-case. I have owned it for about 5 years and have not had anyone able to answer my question, I hope someone can help clear this up for me.

The T-case shift pattern.

My understanding is there are a couple versions, a straight back and fourth and an L shaped pattern. Mine is some sort of L shape, but more like a U. OK, all the way to the left and up (towards firewall) is 2H. Straight back is 4H.
From 4H, moving a bit to the right (towards passenger) keeps it in 4H, however, if I push forward, it clicks into N. Now, this is where I am not sure if I have a broken shift gate or something. Pulling it back out of neutral and continuing to the right shifts it into 4L. Now, if I push forward from this position, back toward the firewall, it shifts into 2L. Is this normal?

I am sorry I probably made this sound more complicated than I should have. My biggest question is this....should there be a 2 low. Thanks to any/all that can help
Mike

you are absolutely correct, the PO probably removed the 2low shift gate when he did the conversion. No big deal at all.

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom