Fj40 tranny help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How hard is it to replace a 2nd gear synchronizer on a fj40 4'speed tranny? Cost of part? Labor from a repair shop?

It's a job, I'm assuming that the transmission is still in the truck? You'll have to pull the transmission completely however once out, you can usually disassemble with common hand tools and a puller. The synchro is likely only $30-$40 but while you're in there, you may as well rebuild the whole thing. Rebuild kits run approximately $200-$250. If you pay a shop, I'd expect 8+ hours of labor if they have to pull and reinstall the trans. Believe it or not, you can probably do it yourself with enough patience.

It's a job, I'm assuming that the transmission is still in the truck? You'll have to pull the transmission completely however once out, you can usually disassemble with common hand tools and a puller. The synchro is likely only $30-$40 but while you're in there, you may as well rebuild the whole thing. Rebuild kits run approximately $200-$250. If you pay a shop, I'd expect 8+ hours of labor if they have to pull and reinstall the trans. Believe it or not, you can probably do it yourself with enough patience.

Thank you!

If you really get stuck, you can ship it to me in WA, I'll give you a much better rate than any local repair shop.

don't forget the while you're in there stuff, clutch, seals, transfer case going thru, etc.

another thought is you could find a good used unit and drop it in instead.

don't forget the while you're in there stuff, clutch, seals, transfer case going thru, etc.

another thought is you could find a good used unit and drop it in instead.

In the seals include the one on the back of the engine crankshaft shaft. There are H41 and H42 four speeds. Many of the non gear parts are the same. But there are two different models. One ended 7/80 and the other started 8/80. When buying a used four speed inspect the tailshaft. Tthe earlier sixteen spline are know to wear. Not sure if the later nineteen spline wear as bad in the manual transmission.

The second gear synchro in a 4 speed is a completely different animal than a 2-3 synchro in a 3speed or a 3-4 synchro in a 4speed. New are NLA, and used can be a crapshoot if you don't know what you're looking at (it's actually a cluster).

And you have no idea what your tailshaft is going to look like until you separate the t-case, and at that point you're committed on someone's rack.

You really need to some more homework on this. Which is why you are here!

Good luck.

P.S. I have a good used synchro out of a 4speed that I just parted out for some other parts to rebuild another 4 speed in the shop. I rebuild these regularly, even though most peeps here think of me as the carb guy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom