FJ40 Tie Rod End Tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy All:

This is probably old hat to all the FJ 40 gurus on here but thought I'd post a few quick pieces of advice on FJ40 tie rod end replacement so someone else doesn't make the dumb mistakes I made today. :)

My son and I are in the midst of our resto-mod of a 1977 FJ 40 and one of the tasks I thought would be simple (LOL) was replacing all the tie rod ends.

Tip#1: All FJ 40 tie rod ends are not created equal: I've replaced tie rod ends on all kinds of vehicles over the years and they are all usually interchangeable. Not so with the FJ 40. The size of the threaded end that screws into the shafts of the steering linkage varies depending on which shaft the tie rod goes in. Ditto for the threaded ends of the tie rod that you put the castle nuts on. Some are slightly longer and skinnier than others. The skinnier ones are made to fit though the openings in the center arm and the round opening in the one tie rod end that attaches to the knuckle on the passenger side. Finally, some are "left hand thread" meaning they tighten by turning them to the left contrary to the universal "lefty loosey/righty tighty rule. So...make sure you dry fit all of them before you go final; don't assume you can "suck the tie rod through the opening" by tightening the castle nut; and don't force any of them into any of the openings with, say, a dead blow hammer. Ask me how I know. :)

2. Getting the old tie rods out of the steering linkage shafts could be a challenge: I've never had an issue getting tie rods out before. Again, not the case with our FJ 40. Even if you have a good bench vise you may still have a tough time keeping the shaft from spinning while you try to unscrew the tie rods. My old tie rods were frozen in tight with rust. I used a sh*& ton of PB Blaster, a vise grips, and in some cases heat from a propane torch to get them to budge. Once you get a little movement you may be able to start wiggling them back and forth a bit to get them to break free. Stay patient and don't be surprised if they end up being very stubborn.

3. Apply grease to the Zerk fitting AFTER the tie rods and linkage shafts are installed. We cleaned and repainted our steering linkage parts and put the tie rods in the shafts while they were off the truck. Since all the tie rod ends had nice new zerk fittings we decided to grease them before we did the re-intsallation of the linkage parts. Long story short, the boots were full of grease and as we started trying to get the linkage parts to go on grease started oozing out from under the boots, coating the shafts, our hands, and our tools making an already frustrating job a real ordeal. Better to try to do all the twisting and wiggling of parts when they are dry versus when that are covered in grease. Woof.

Like the man said: nothing is simple; everything's a project. I hope maybe this helps someone do this "simple" job with a little less ass pain than we experienced today. Best of luck!

Howdy All:

This is probably old hat to all the FJ 40 gurus on here but thought I'd post a few quick pieces of advice on FJ40 tie rod end replacement so someone else doesn't make the dumb mistakes I made today. :)

My son and I are in the midst of our resto-mod of a 1977 FJ 40 and one of the tasks I thought would be simple (LOL) was replacing all the tie rod ends.

Tip#1: All FJ 40 tie rod ends are not created equal: I've replaced tie rod ends on all kinds of vehicles over the years and they are all usually interchangeable. Not so with the FJ 40. The size of the threaded end that screws into the shafts of the steering linkage varies depending on which shaft the tie rod goes in. Ditto for the threaded ends of the tie rod that you put the castle nuts on. Some are slightly longer and skinnier than others. The skinnier ones are made to fit though the openings in the center arm and the round opening in the one tie rod end that attaches to the knuckle on the passenger side. Finally, some are "left hand thread" meaning they tighten by turning them to the left contrary to the universal "lefty loosey/righty tighty rule. So...make sure you dry fit all of them before you go final; don't assume you can "suck the tie rod through the opening" by tightening the castle nut; and don't force any of them into any of the openings with, say, a dead blow hammer. Ask me how I know. :)

2. Getting the old tie rods out of the steering linkage shafts could be a challenge: I've never had an issue getting tie rods out before. Again, not the case with our FJ 40. Even if you have a good bench vise you may still have a tough time keeping the shaft from spinning while you try to unscrew the tie rods. My old tie rods were frozen in tight with rust. I used a sh*& ton of PB Blaster, a vise grips, and in some cases heat from a propane torch to get them to budge. Once you get a little movement you may be able to start wiggling them back and forth a bit to get them to break free. Stay patient and don't be surprised if they end up being very stubborn.

3. Apply grease to the Zerk fitting AFTER the tie rods and linkage shafts are installed. We cleaned and repainted our steering linkage parts and put the tie rods in the shafts while they were off the truck. Since all the tie rod ends had nice new zerk fittings we decided to grease them before we did the re-intsallation of the linkage parts. Long story short, the boots were full of grease and as we started trying to get the linkage parts to go on grease started oozing out from under the boots, coating the shafts, our hands, and our tools making an already frustrating job a real ordeal. Better to try to do all the twisting and wiggling of parts when they are dry versus when that are covered in grease. Woof.

Like the man said: nothing is simple; everything's a project. I hope maybe this helps someone do this "simple" job with a little less ass pain than we experienced today. Best of luck!
OkMike,
I have a question about replacing worn dust boots on the tie rod and drag link ends. This is my first time to do any real repair work and some of the boots are torn so I’m replacing them. Big job for me.
The new boots are dissimilar from the flatter orig boots but seem to hold grease as the ends press over the ends rather than into the groove. Q-how tight should the nut be tightened? These replacement boots don’t require the spring clip and I don’t want to over-tighten the ball joint. Having little mechanical experience, I worry that everything has little tolerance. Thanks for the help. I want to tackle the tie rod ends next but need a few more pointers before I really get going.
side note: some of these boots don’t have zerk fittings but rather just a small bolt sealing them. I have tried to replace them with zerks but the threads don’t match so I greased them and replaced the bolt. Good? Bad?

Crimsoncruiser, when you say 'boots don’t have zerk fittings but rather just a small bolt sealing them' are you talking about the tie rod doesnt have a zerk on it? you need to be using OEM or good aftermarket like 555 or other JDM tie rods. The whole 5 tie rod kit is 90$ from CCOT:

tie rods have to include grease zerks or they WILL fail prematurely.

as far as tightness, I use about 65 ft #s and put in the pin

Bumping this up as I have the same exact questions.

I bought a 555 tie rod end set from @cruiseroutfit (great guys) and none of them came with zerk fittings. Is this something we should install or are these newer TREs designed differently?

Also wondering about how tight on the castle nut. took a lot of force to get it apart. FSM doesn't specify.

Appreciate the help.

IMG_5966.jpeg

Sorry - Should have used the search function. Answered half of the question.

Looks like its not necessary to grease these newer TREs

and again

This from the FAQ--
Knuckle Studs and Tie Rods (Values differ depending on the diameter of the stud)
11mm- 40 - 60 ft#'s
12mm- 62 - 79 ft#'s
Knuckle Years:
Pre 1979 were 11mm
1979 and later were 12mm

Sorry - Should have used the search function. Answered half of the question.

Looks like its not necessary to grease these newer TREs

For future searchers :D, we have a note on this on our website too:

1613596672869.png

Some good tips on this thread already. Here's another: Use a 12ga shotgun cleaning kit, with a wire brush end fitting, for cleaning all of the rust out of your tie rod, relay rod, and drag link rod. Brush them until they are clean. Then liberally coat the inside of the rods with your choice of fluid film, boeshield, or Amsoil HDMP. When you screw in your new TRE's, use anti sieze on your newly-cleaned threads. Now, when you DO get water (because you will) inside your tie rod, relay rod, or drag link internals, it won't rust up the threads on your nice new TRE's. It helps if, during your final adjustment of all the rods, try to end up with the end "gaps" pointing downwards so any water will drain out. :cool:

OkMike,
I have a question about replacing worn dust boots on the tie rod and drag link ends. This is my first time to do any real repair work and some of the boots are torn so I’m replacing them. Big job for me.
The new boots are dissimilar from the flatter orig boots but seem to hold grease as the ends press over the ends rather than into the groove. Q-how tight should the nut be tightened? These replacement boots don’t require the spring clip and I don’t want to over-tighten the ball joint. Having little mechanical experience, I worry that everything has little tolerance. Thanks for the help. I want to tackle the tie rod ends next but need a few more pointers before I really get going.
side note: some of these boots don’t have zerk fittings but rather just a small bolt sealing them. I have tried to replace them with zerks but the threads don’t match so I greased them and replaced the bolt. Good? Bad?
Are your new boots the Poly-type as sold by SOR, Energy Suspension, and some others? If so, I have found those to be great quality boots, and what I upgrade to if/when the OEM rubber boots fail. I especially like the fact that if you over-grease them, it just oozes out the bottom, and does not tear the boot. Better design than original and super tough IMO. Just follow the castle nut torque specs as already shown above in this thread and lock them in place with a cotter pin.

Hey @cruiseroutfit, just to clarify, I get that the tie rod ends are pre-greased so no zerk required. What about the relay rod end with the zerk? If they need grease, how much? And if I already greased them, is there any way to remove some or is it not a big deal? Also, I'm in a 60. I realize this is the 40 section but this was the most relevant thread I could find. Thanks!

Hey @cruiseroutfit, just to clarify, I get that the tie rod ends are pre-greased so no zerk required. What about the relay rod end with the zerk? If they need grease, how much? And if I already greased them, is there any way to remove some or is it not a big deal? Also, I'm in a 60. I realize this is the 40 section but this was the most relevant thread I could find. Thanks!

We grease them until you can see slight growth in the boot. The 6x drag-link ends will need continued service (tightening) throughout their lifetime too. If there is too much, simply use a small pic and depress the zerk ball or unscrew the zerk and get a bit out.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong here? I’ve tightened them to the point grease is coming out of the tre.. doesn’t seem right. This is the 555 kit from @cruiseroutfit.

There is an excessive amount of thread exposed above the castle nut. It seems like if I tightened it to the point where the castle nut is just past the eyelet for the cotter pin it would be way too loose.

6C77D6B3-CBCB-492F-B204-12A6D5B02076.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you - I was going by the torque values I found for the steering arm tie rod (67 ft lb). Obviously too much for this connection. Just seems odd that there’s so much play.

There shoudnt be any play other than the rotation of the joint. The taper is what makes the connection. That's why you either use a pickle fork or smack the female part with a hammer to seperate the joint. I havent changed stk tre's on a 40 in yrs. Are you sure that end is in the right location? You might want to contact the vendor. Someone around here may have an answer too.

I'm thinking that I screwed up the taper when torquing it, if that's possible.. I would have thought that the taper would have engaged sooner and I wouldn't be looking at so much thread. I'll give them a call.

There are two ends that are nearly identical however the length of the stuff of the stud varies by ~6mm? and would present itself identically to what you have happening.

Thank you I’ll take a look. I thought I was being pretty careful when replacing them as far as matching the new to old.

I would think the longest threaded one would match with the passenger side tre given the thickness of that piece.

What Kurt said is exactly what happened. That's a very common mistake that many of us have made. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom