FJ40 Tie Rod End Tips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely looks like the wrong joint for the location - there's no way you'd crank the tapered shaft that far into the seat. The long joint goes on the steering arm to attach to the 90* "center arm" pivot. Two shorties go on the drag link.

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.09.36 AM.png

Long joint in the center joint (snug):
PXL_20210302_160401416.MP.jpg

Vs long taper in the tie rod connection (no bueno):
PXL_20210302_160343616.MP.jpg

Side by side:
PXL_20210302_154035687.MP-COLLAGE.jpg

Definitely looks like the wrong joint for the location - there's no way you'd crank the tapered shaft that far into the seat. The long joint goes on the steering arm to attach to the 90* "center arm" pivot. Two shorties go on the drag link.

View attachment 2600997

Long joint in the center joint (snug):
View attachment 2600998

Vs long taper in the tie rod connection (no bueno):
View attachment 2601000

Side by side:
View attachment 2601002

this would be great to have in the faq

Ok I'm really striking out here..

I did have the incorrect longer spindle TRE on the passenger side of the relay rod.. However, when I place the longer spindle TRE on the end of the drag link, it is too long! I can't tighten the nut down far enough because I run out of thread. Interestingly, the picture on the CCOT site shows an included washer (circled in green). I'm not sure what brand they carry, but the 555 set did not come with a washer. I'm considering putting one on which would solve the issue, but I'm not sure this is correct.

IMG_6078-1.jpeg
IMG_6079.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.16.32 PM.png

As I've thought and read more about this, I wonder if this center arm taper is worn.. This might explain what I'm finding. Going to put a washer on there for now and order a new center arm.

Horse beaten.

You shouldn’t need a washer and I’ve never seen a kit include one. I too would suspect a loose end over the years wallowed out the taper. Good news is the center arms are easy to source and relatively inexpensive too. We stock them @ Cruiser Outfitters if you need one.

I’ve heard of people spraying them with clear coat to keep the TRE from rusting.
Good or bad idea?

You shouldn’t need a washer and I’ve never seen a kit include one. I too would suspect a loose end over the years wallowed out the taper. Good news is the center arms are easy to source and relatively inexpensive too. We stock them @ Cruiser Outfitters if you need one.
ordered from you and should be here tomorrow :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom