Fj40 Tailgate Q's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i believe those years were pre-ambulance doors. they had a hatch above the tailgate. possibly a soft top model but mostly likely hatch, you haven't the hard top for either one?

Tail gates on the 40 series typically indicates that they were a soft top model....

You should not have an issue using a hard top with a lift up rear door, and a tail gate.

What do your driver and passenger door hinge halves that mount to the body look like?

Are they a complete round hole top and bottom, or a half hole on top, and complete on the bottom of each hinge?

Good luck!

-Steve

The best way to tell if they were factory soft tops is there's a eyebolt or the threaded hole for the eyebolt on each side of the dash just under the padded dash. These eyebolts are for the safety straps that are used when the doors are off. On the hard tops there's a piece that bolts to the hinges and has a large hole at the top for the safety straps. Even the factory hard tops had all the predrilled holes for the soft top bows, everything except for the holes in the dash and I change my door hinges when I change to the oem soft top The hard top will fit the tailgate with no problems been doing it for years.

John

do you have odd brackets on the fenderwells by the rear corners? i've seen a few that were converted to hardtop where they didn't take those softtop brackets off. easy way to tell.

I don't know about later FJ's but my 65 FJ40 is a softtop model and I can't put a hardtop on it. The tub doesn't have all those little studs goind down the sides(rails) to bolt on the hardtop.

my 72 is a factory soft top with a tailgate and i put a 78 hard top on it and ghetto riged a rear hatch to fit it. i dont know if this helps you in any way.

I think after 65 they made them more universal. My 68 hard top has the holes for the canvas twists and my 73 soft top has the bolt holes for the hard top. Right now my 68 has soft top door hinges and the brackets in the back for the back bow. The 73 has hard doors with the hard door hinges. There is a light that mounts on the dash of the soft tops because of no light in the top. Later soft top bow had a light mounted in the bows ( same place as a hard top). On the 73 it is on the right side of the grove box, the same light that was used in the early forty under the dash.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom