FJ40 Stock Tire Size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

R

RAF

Hey, can anyone tell me the stock tire size that was originally provided on 70's FJ40's. My manual does not give the outside diameter. And at what point (tire size) do you need to start thinking about a lift. I really like look of the 33 x 9.5 x 15's BFG/AT with stock wheels, but I'll go with 30 x 9.5 x 15 if its closer to stock and keeps me from having to install a lift kit.
Thanks
Roger

28" tall. In other markets 40's could be had with taller tires, like 32" or so. 33x9.5's fit on stock, but I think would rub if wheeled hard. I run em on my stock 82 fj40.....but I don't wheel it.
28497585.jpg

Thanks landpimp. I dont plan to 4-wheel mine either. Those look great, but might keep it from fitting in the garage. How does it handle with the tall tires?

Here is a chart from the Landcruiser Owner's manual for 71 (should be same for you) listing a range of tire sizes and recommended inflation pressures. You'll note the smallest tire (twice the sidewall height plus the diameter of the wheel) is 29.2 inches high.

[quote author=RAF link=board=1;threadid=10272;start=msg91763#msg91763 date=1074463479]
Thanks landpimp. I dont plan to 4-wheel mine either. Those look great, but might keep it from fitting in the garage. How does it handle with the tall tires?
[/quote]

handles great. We run the same tires on the other OME's 40 and the stock fj62, super happy with them.

You will find that steering is easier with shorter tires.

I switched from 31x10.5x15 to 33x9.5x15 BFG's and did not notice any degradation in steering. Thats probably because I went with the narrower tire for that very reason. I like them and do 4 wheel. I don't do the rock crawler like woody and others do. My idea of a fun 4 wheel trip is to go off on trails to find a quiet spot with a view. I then climb a rock and relax while smoking a stogie and a brew (just one). The trails I drive are not dirt roads by any means, but there something I am confident I won't get stuck on going by myself.

It helps to have power steering with the bigger tires. You notice it most at a standstill turning the wheel on gravel or dirt.

I don't have power steering and that is the main reason I picked the 9.5's. Besides with Power Steering, the FJ40 doesn't have the same "charm" :)

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=10272;start=msg91770#msg91770 date=1074465783]
Here is a chart from the Landcruiser Owner's manual for 71 (should be same for you) listing a range of tire sizes and recommended inflation pressures. You'll note the smallest tire (twice the sidewall height plus the diameter of the wheel) is 29.2 inches high.
[/quote]

IDave,I've got that chart, but I mistakenly took the 7.6 to be tire width not sidewall height. Thanks
Roger

Hey, 7.5 inch tires would be great on snow! :D

I went with the 33-9.5's and compared to the bald 235-75's it steers like it has ps. As with clearance, I just went out and measured, with a lift (I really don't know how much..PO) I can just get into my garage with a 6' 11" opening, but just barely, less than an inch clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom