FJ40 steering column/box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am taking off the body to my 1970 FJ40. It has manual steering and 3 on the tree. I need to know how to get the steering column off/out of the steering box. I dont know how since there are no ragjoints on these models. Thanks.

You have to disassemble the steering box. Remove the pitman arm, take the side cover off the box, slide out the sector shaft. Take the bottom plate off the steering box and slide the entire steering shaft and worm gear out the end. I'm pretty sure that is how I did it. Maybe someone else can elaborate if I left anything out... Good luck!!

Jody.

Outback's right about disassembly, but why not pull off the box and shaft all in one? I pulled one by taking off the drive's fender and unfixing the drag link from the pitman arm. Way easier than pulling a pitman arm and disassembling the box. If you can get a later model steering box and column you may be better off in the end. Once I had mine out I replaced it with a box, rag joint and shaft out of a '74 and it bolted right in--no sweat. Your earlier model is a worm gear and roller; the later ones are worm and sector gear=much stronger.

Thanks guys. i guess ill try the easier way, cause i really dont feel like ripping it apart if i dont have to. How long do u figure to do it like an hour or so???

has anyone installed a telescopic, tilt steering column, like from a cadillac?

Bunch of people, there was a thread on this, search/look around. May have been the tail end of a hard-core thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom