fj40 spring replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 fj40 that rides terrible that I am going to replace the springs on . I've been told to improve the ride (ie softer) I'll need to do at least a 2.5inch lift. I am considering safari 2.5 inch front and rear. Any thoughts? It's a daily driver with a little gravel and woods roads travel on the weekends. I'm looking for the softest ride for the last lift.

Add a SR with the lift for a really nice ride.

Retain the stock height but improve the ride quality - so it rides smoother over bumps on the street.

2.5" OME were a major improvement over the factory springs in my 78 FJ40. It was not until after I had replaced the springs that I saw just how much they had sagged. The 2.5" lift turned out to be closer to 3.5" due to the sad shape the factory springs were in. The ride was very much improved.

I bought stock replacement springs for a 60 years ago from M_A_F_ and they sagged immediately. This was a daily driver, and they wanted me to send them in for evaluation, which I couldn't do. I took the truck to a local spring shop (Black's in Zanesville Oh) and they laughed at the steel the springs were made from. They re-arched them for me and added a leaf for about 1.5" of lift. After that they rode awesome. Black's said they could have built new springs for less than I paid and do all the labor (stuck, frozen parts, etc.). I have since installed two OME Dakkar kits and totally pleased with the quality. My 40 needs weight to be considered smooth (still no Cadillac ride). I am considering removing a leaf (leaves) when the hardtop comes off, should make for a smoother ride -and better articulation-. You may be able to remove leaves to soften, but may lower your ride height as well. Where is your truck from, where has it been- shackles may be rusted & not moving. Don't be afraid to flex.

If I wanted a stock ride I would have new springs built locally. OME Dakkar is reasonablly priced and I'm pleased with the quality. If I was rich or just wanted to go bigger I would totally go with Alcan.

I am considering removing a leaf (leaves) when the hardtop comes off, should make for a smoother ride -and better articulation-.

Sorry to hyjack but what leaf would you remove to make for a smoother ride and better articulation? I have OME springs but want it to be a little softer and dont' really care about losing an .5" of height.

Thanks, Scott

Hi All:

I've been running the OME suspension on a FJ40 since 1998. I have a 2F and an electric winch over the front axle so are using the medium-load OME13 front leaf springs, but found that the medium-load OME14 rear springs had too high of a load rating for my truck with no top or a soft top. Removing the third leaf from the top of the spring pack changed the load rating to "light-load" status (aka OME140.)

Be sure to PM me if you have any furthre questions.

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry to hyjack but what leaf would you remove to make for a smoother ride and better articulation? I have OME springs but want it to be a little softer and dont' really care about losing an .5" of height.

Thanks, Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom