Fj40 sounds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been reading through some of the old posts on speaker installs...
Have a few questions as I know NOTHING about stereos and sound systems ESPECIALLY in something like that of a TUNA CAN.
Where would be the OPTIMUM location to mount speakers? I would guess on the cage at head level or above?
Would you need any more seakers, say under the dash or in the dash?
Had seen that some folks mounted them under the seats? How would that be for sound? I would thing not that great?
Didnt see too many folks that had used wakeboard tower speakers? Wondering why?

K

I'm thinking about getting a dashbox and mounting some mid range and tweeters in there. It will reduce my storage capacity by about 6" on each side, but I think it would provide a great mount for front speakers.

The idea of actually hearing a radio in my FJ is quite hilarious.

Really? Why? I can hear the hiss from the carb when cruising along in my 40. 40s don't have to be supper loud.

If my 350 can be this quiet... Your 2F can too.:D

The idea of actually hearing a radio in my FJ is quite hilarious.

Then you just need MORE SOUND POWER!

5352195827_c416228791.jpg

;)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/468041-sound-bar-fj40-any-real-installs.html

Read this thread that was already started the other day to get some ideas. ;)

Thanks for the link. I did see that one... In fact I had commented in it too. Someone also posted up about using the wake board towers too. I had the same thought that if they could provide enough sound for a totally open boat, they should be able to handle a rickety old 40? Curious as to why no one has really explored this option. I might look at it.
Just wondering more about sound system dynamics, speaker quantity and placement in general.

I found that a pair of 6x9s in boxes under the rear bench worked really well. Mine were JBL 2 way 120w speakers powered by a 10 Band EQ/Amp... I think 100w max on the amp. The Sony 6.5" speakers I replaced them with were ok... but the 6x9s were better.

Unwanted removal of the speakers was impeded by the bench being bolted down, and they were also quite protected from the rain under there.:D

If you're into base, a single sub tucked somewhere would make up for any low end short comings. Base speakers are often run Mono... Placement of Mids and Tweats is more important.

Last edited:
I found that a pair of 6x9s in boxes under the rear bench worked really well. Mine were JBL 2 way 120w speakers powered by a 10 Band EQ/Amp... I think 100w max on the amp. The Sony 6.5" speakers I replaced them with were ok... but the 6x9s were better.

Unwanted removal of the speakers was impeded by the bench being bolted down, and they were also quite protected from the rain under there.:D

If you're into base, a single sub tucked somewhere would make up for any low end short comings. Base speakers are often run Mono... Placement of Mids and Tweats is more important.

That helps! Appreciate the input for sure.
I was wondering about under the seat type deal and how folks liked that. The idea is great. Out of the way, keeps the wires down...Only concern would be deep water crossings.:eek:

That helps! Appreciate the input for sure.
I was wondering about under the seat type deal and how folks liked that. The idea is great. Out of the way, keeps the wires down...Only concern would be deep water crossings.:eek:

Keep your doors on, and don't stop... You'll be fine.:hillbilly:

I've gone through deep enough streams to wash my truck to above the top of the from fenders. The tired old weatherstripping kept it dry inside.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom