FJ40 Soft Top... eBay. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are alot of threads where someone tried to save a bunch of money by going the cheapest route possible and then got screwed and never saw their product or had to invest alot more to make it usable.

Lately its Landcruiser heaven that is providing inferior products and customer service.

Trollhole has a good reputation.....

I’d shy away from those eBay tops. There are no details of the material used or zippers used. I’d spend a bit more so that you won’t have to replace zippers and repair a top that’s made with products chosen to save money. If Troleholes tops were 10x more I might consider different options, but I’d never regret spending a few extra bucks for higher quality that should last longer.

I got bows from a local guy, they are Eshan's. ($750 good deal?)

Ill save some more and snag one of Marshals.

Not a apples to apples comparing the standard hatch to the ambulance doors unless Trollhole is having that style made. Making a extra piece for the soft ambulance wouldn't be that much. Making the top half of the ambulance and making them fit to our hard top barns door would be more work. Would also have to consider that this style top is made to fit hard doors that the B bow angled. Our soft top bows we're straight. If the top is a snug fit with angled bows it's going to be even tighter with straight bows. These were much easier before the internet and imported parts from other countries. After the soft top tub changed in 63 we only had one option to deal with since we only got a tail tail and soft doors on the FST.

Not a apples to apples comparing the standard hatch to the ambulance doors unless Trollhole is having that style made. Making a extra piece for the soft ambulance wouldn't be that much. Making the top half of the ambulance and making them fit to our hard top barns door would be more work. Would also have to consider that this style top is made to fit hard doors that the B bow angled. Our soft top bows we're straight. If the top is a snug fit with angled bows it's going to be even tighter with straight bows. These were much easier before the internet and imported parts from other countries. After the soft top tub changed in 63 we only had one option to deal with since we only got a tail tail and soft doors on the FST.

To the OP .... this is the eBay top you posted and where they come from

FJ40 Soft Top Complete Kit

These tops would not fit any model imported to US. Says 74 and up but while the doors will bolt to a 74 the spare tire will bolt the license plate and spare carrier will have to swing open to open the door. If the second has a pin to lock it in place like our barn doors a new plate with a hole would be neededin the sill. 75 and up hinge will not match the single hinge on our hard ambulance doors. If one of these foreign companies want to see here would be nice if they made a product to designed to work with what was imported here. The other option with the roll up rear window is never special. The soft ambulance made to open the opposite way would be special. Those would be a direct bolt on to our pre 75 hard top models.

Maybe someone who has actually purchased this can chime in?
I would have zero issues modifying my rear end to accept another hinge for those sweet amby doors on my 78... And it would solve my issue of an open rear tub when the top is off...
:)

I would want the roll up rear window. @Sheck44 thanks for the feedback, I suppose that you haven't really had a chance to use it?

I looked at a lot of alternatives for a top for my '64 FST, looking to save a few dollars if I could. In the end, I bucked up and ordered a Trollhole-designed top from Julie (J & A Sewing). I don't have it yet (still about 4 weeks out), but that's OK, the tub is off now for rust repair and paint.

The big thing for me was that Julie's top was good material and built to fit a stock FST. So many cheaper tops are not quite right, things like using snaps or twist-locks around the rear corner rather than straps to the footman loops. I'd rather pay a bit more to get something that looks and fits closer to stock.

Well I can tell you that $$ was not the deciding factor here but colour was, I wanted grey to match the Nardo grey paint, and I can also attest to the quality of the top and so far the fit was perfect, I will follow up when we get this thing fitted up 100 %.

This is my top on a pic of another members truck in the same colour

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 5.48.00 AM by Steve Heck, on Flickr

I have a soft top, black, that came in the back of a used FJ40 I bought. Looks like it has hardly been used just sat in the back while this thing was parked. If your looking to save $$$ I would sell it WAAAAY cheaper then that. PM me if your interested.

I need some photos of parts please. Specifically the stretcher which goes from the windshield to the B pillar support and where the B pillar support meets the tub. I am having a hard time adjusting the stretcher to allow the doors to close properly and the support doesn't seem to meet the tun correctly. I bought the bow kit which was supposed to be a Real Steel kit but it doesn't seem to fit even with repeated adjustments. Thanks in advance!

I have a soft top, black, that came in the back of a used FJ40 I bought. Looks like it has hardly been used just sat in the back while this thing was parked. If your looking to save $$$ I would sell it WAAAAY cheaper then that. PM me if your interested.
If he doesn't get it shoot some pics and brand I might be in the market

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom