FJ40 seat position and shifter location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if I could get a few reference measurements from a few people. I am kinda stuck with a chicken/egg problem on my hybrid build....

Blender, My LX450/FZJ80 + FJ45esk + GM + Land Rover crazy concoction

I am right in the middle of making a custom tunnel for the vehicle. To make the tunnel I need to know where the transmission shifter should end up. To know where the shifter can go I need the to know where the seats will go. To know where the seats can go I need the tunnel to be finished. It is this evil circle.

Anyways.

Can I get a few people to measure roughly how far from the firewall to the front of the seat when it is in the full forward position? I think that will me get a better idea where to set things. I have never had anything other than the bare FJ40 tub to play with.

If someone is bored, perhaps a few measurements on where the shift lever is in relation to something like the firewall or perhaps the lower corner for the dash.

Thank you for the help.

I think you may have the cart before the horse here. Wouldn't you want to figure out where the engine is going to sit first. This will then determine where the trans is located and thus the shifter location. Getting the shifter into your hand is just a matter of making the proper bends, if necessary, in the shifter itself. Until you have the engine and trans in how will you know how tall the tunnel needs to be as well as side clearances?

Just thinking out loud.

I think you may have the cart before the horse here. Wouldn't you want to figure out where the engine is going to sit first. This will then determine where the trans is located and thus the shifter location. Getting the shifter into your hand is just a matter of making the proper bends, if necessary, in the shifter itself. Until you have the engine and trans in how will you know how tall the tunnel needs to be as well as side clearances?

Just thinking out loud.

Sorry for not being clear. This one is using a GM 6L80E automatic transmission. I will be building the shifter mount on top of the transmission for a Gennie style shifter. Those basically look like a 'stick' shifter however. I just don't want to put it too far back and have it get in the way of the seats.....or too far forward I can't reach it. I am just trying to get a better idea of about where 'stock' was.

Basically just a big hole.....

I would like to mount the shifter off that 4-bolt mounting pad on top of the transfer case adapter......somewhere........

Maybe this will help.

DSC00663.JPG

NV4500 behind SBC but shifter came out at approximately the same as the original 3 spd before the conversion.

DSC00934.JPG

You can see that the shifter for the NV4500 points toward the drivers seat. It actually put the knob right at my right leg which was too close. I ended up bending the AA shifter shaft just above the threads that screwed into the adapter piece so it was pointing straight back instead. I now it is in a perfect position, at least for me.

Thank you for the picture!

That looks impossibly far forward for me darn it. I need to maintain a certain amount of setback for the shift linkage....

Having a few seat measurements would help a lot at this point.

Thank you for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom