FJ40 Seat Alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1978 FJ40. I replaced the stock seats with the Corbeau Sport Seat, Corbeau seat bracket and stock mounts. I am having some issues with the alignment. I used washers to shim everything level at the back of the seat but I am not happy with the results. I feel like the seat brackets should be designed to have both the seats at the same level. The mounts for the Corbeau bracket in the front are flat and should be the same but the mounts in the back have an L shaped leg, both the same length yet the stock mounts are obviously different heights. The other issue that I have is that the driver seat sits too close to the center console and I am having a tough time mounting my tuffy box. I thought I took a picture last night but not sure what happened. I will take one tonight. Any suggestions?

Here are the seat brackets: 480-041
Page 480 Land Cruiser Corbeau Seats & Brackets

Here are the seats: 780-019
Sport Seat - Corbeau Racing Seats

Hmm, looks like pretty basic brackets. I would use either washers or cut some steel tubing as spacers to even out the heights and get them bolted in. As far as being too close to the consol, it looks like it would be pretty easy to move the rails over an inch on the brackets and drill new holes. Thats what I would do. FYI, when I built my seat brackets, I made the front so that the front of the seat cushion angled up about 3 inches, this greatly increased comfort and holds me in the seat better. I don't have corbeau seats, but may give you an idea on increasing comfort.

Hmm, looks like pretty basic brackets. I would use either washers or cut some steel tubing as spacers to even out the heights and get them bolted in. As far as being too close to the consol, it looks like it would be pretty easy to move the rails over an inch on the brackets and drill new holes. Thats what I would do. FYI, when I built my seat brackets, I made the front so that the front of the seat cushion angled up about 3 inches, this greatly increased comfort and holds me in the seat better. I don't have corbeau seats, but may give you an idea on increasing comfort.
So you angled the back of the seat up or the front of the seat up? Thanks for the input. I was planning on pulling the seats off the bracket and drilling new holes I just thought it was strange that these brackets are made for FJ40 and they did not already figure all that out.

Here is a pic of mine in this thread. The only negative tpage-6
is when u fold the setback forward to let occupants through, the seat back doesn't come forward near as much since the whole seat is angled. But dang it's comfy.
Aftermarket seats.....
I agree that is strange u have to modify them. Maybe if u do a search u can find a thread where someone else installed those brackets.

I did some research on others who have installed these brackets and checked with SOR, not much for answers. Here is a picture of my seats with the unmodified configuration and shimmed with washers to level out. Notice how much lower the driver side is and how close it is to the tuffy support bracket.
20170208_071922.jpg

20170208_071938.jpg

20170208_071932.jpg

I worked on the alignment this weekend. I pulled the drive seat and guide rails off the metal support bracket. After looking at the bottom of the seat I realized that I could move either guide rails on the bottom of the seat to the outside as there two additional allen bolts. I move the right side further to the right and on the seat and moved the entire seat to the right so it sits on the outer holes on the frame. Much better! I pulled the washers out from the bolts that attach the frame to the OEM brackets. It sits back a little bit but noticeable and still comfortable. Now to adjust the guides on the passenger seat since one of the nuts hits the hose on the gas tank.

33oE-eur-5elbqotcyH3t6VPUyka-wBxcxorONIzuV7tEPtZHYQQ7tFPEmULXX3KDLUE7BMmp-WyMNqFigy9imzQ8A_JHJVgH43sOLONfLd5PsXY0U7KR7-EouDpTaptsT58mjaXbll_lox84nIIiYJ2mp2_mMgw4Om8vLazgF67QZlPhYA0q5TMwoOTyTbppkHvjHny0NCJRDjT-WUYDdMimY6nLYC3ifZgTftOgNxOR6PKfa07L0rbC2aFd8GLFEl3B9F_iHIO4sfrmmDHgzgGjPPJJcmpZ5DRY3XjWFlERUQfAEdXhYIdjNlcxMSUEoDIg61RGS5QsRkXHTHyF0Nk_o9MuY9JuGfTSnIfvYKlOILKg1jj_54kuB0uVh1sMeAC7rRy-eycxEZW2Pw_0KbQbCoV9ORscUrH1GK54Bsk2EAycZt7cfRM3LO0lRFWCL6qxYX2z6djxGeotLO2BuyLvMcTw6UmEtE1xms6qzItnUJwGyq3T4CJSmwMUkoMIbzse3FXOKSylz-oDhLCMKXJzc50K3C9mN1hazgWjPlXNQ4tnCCqqFqx4fBdZfg8jW4jwwvTzuSSJca84XkOHsrPtkF7KsZeNom4u_qletItmDALUDpCHw=w1234-h926-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom